• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying to lose weight

I'm trying to lose weight for surgery in 50 some days. I did great the first few weeks, but I'm have plateaued again. I have cut calories again, but it's not working.

I'm defiantly losing size and I need to get smaller work uniforms. I'm gaining to much mussel.

I have a hard time with any workout that my belly bounces around. I ride my bike for 15 minutes a day after work, but it becomes painful in the gut. On my days off I go to the pool twice and workout for 1 hour each time. Sometimes i will speed walk for 3 miles to skip a trip to the pool.

What aerobic workouts can I do that will not bounce my gut around?

cmack

Staff member
Maybe you could get a sports wrap type support to help hold the belly more still. You can get all sorts of them online, for all types of different things. If you could ride your bike more often it might be nice, certainly it's good exercise. Good luck in your search.

cmack

Staff member
I'm sure you will slowly lose weight if you keep trying like you are. Many small changes, made over a period of time are often easier and far more effective than one big change. This is particularly true in regards to lifestyle and diet. Sometimes it can be stubborn areas of fat that just tend to "go" last too (for whatever reason). I'm here for support.

What type of foods are you eating and are your calories maybe too low? As if your calories are too low your body will hold on to the weight. Also the more carbs you eat the more water your body will hold. So maybe cut down on the carbs a bit. Maybe try aqua jogging?-the water will support your weight. Walk more, try and build up to an hour a day if possible or more, can you walk in your breaktime in work? Do a 30 min walk straight after work? Also keep moving your body even if its just a few paces every few minutes- it will all add up and help to burn the calories. Work on focusing your mind also to get yourself back in the zone. You can do this!!

Most mornings are Greek yogurt or sometimes a instant oatmeal with a spoon full of peanut butter.
Lunch is 12 oz soup and 4 saltine. When I'm at work I try to stay away from cream ones.
Dinner is 12 oz soup. Most of the time it's some kind of split pea or lentils mix. A few peanut butter crackers or hummus with red peppers.

There are days I change it up because of where I'm at or what I'm doing.

Your diet seems to contain plenty of healthy foods☺ . Just some suggestions. Maybe try and add up your calories for the day and see if your in too much of a calorie deficit. I can't grasp the amount of calories your consuming daily to think if it would be this slowing your progress. Or maybe the peanut butter portions are too big, peanut butter is so energy dense that even 1 tablespoon more is over 100 calories more, if your portion size is not measure out you can easily add 300/400 calories daily and not be realising this especially if your eating it twice daily (i would easily consume 40g thinking it was one 15g tablespoon until i started measuring it out and to my surprise!!) Everyone one needs good fats just watch the portion sizes of these fats. Try adding more protein instead of the peanut butter that you eating later in the day? Also you could try drinking more water and watch your salt intake (don't know how much your soups contain).

The peanut butter i get is prepacked in .5 oz cups so the worst i can do is lick out the cup.
I don't use salt when i cook any more and very rarely add salt to my food. I'm sure the soup at work has salt, but once a day should not hurt me.
There is no way for me to guess how many calories i'm eating.

cmack

Staff member
Soup is usually a couple hundred calories a cup or so. Mine is anyhow, it's organic vegetable soup with lentils that I normally have. I think something like cream of mushroom soup would be higher in calories and salt as well. What kinds of soup do you eat, fire bob?

I do home made turkey broth sometimes pork broth (cook it for 18 to 24 hours).
The i run onions, carrots, and celery through the food processor.
I add split peas, lentils, or barley. Some times I mix them.
I cook the hell out them and then pre portion them.

cmack

Staff member
I always enjoy a good bowl of soup. Sounds like fairly good ingredients you have, I just avoid the meat. I wish I had more ideas, fire bob. If I can think of anything to help I'll give you a shout. Best of luck to you, keep at it and you can do it.

I do the bone broth because of it's health benefits.

About the only time i eat meat is at my moms house about once a week when i eat at her house.

I caved in to my g/f and bought a pack of chicken thighs and cooked them for her.

I just got off the scale and it's back on track. It looks like i just stalled.
Now for my morning BM so i can go work out in the pool.

cmack

Staff member
Ayurveda has certain Indian remedies for weight loss for them targets the stubborn extra pounds which cannot be reduced with exercise or diet.Effective herbal remedies made from natural ingredients like fresh curry leaves, mint, turmeric, and spices like ginger, cinnamon, black pepper are very good medicinal herbs for weight loss
I'm glad it helps you. Be sure to ask the doctor before starting any new herbs or other supplements though. Just because it's natural, doesn't always make it right for everyone. Other than that, I think natural remedies are great!

fire bob - I have a read and watched a lot of work from Dr Michael Mosely, specifically on intermittent fasting, he has some interesting books and programmes on the subject that might be worth looking up.
I am wary of suggesting it here because IBD's are so complicated and everyone is different, but as a method of losing weight it sounds like the most effective method with long term success.
Reducing your intake, once you get over the adjustment of missing a meal, will help you crave less when you do eat, and require less food to feel 'full'.
There's interesting stuff as well about people increasing exercise in order to lose weight, that in some cases this can backfire a bit as we tend to overcompensate after exercising by eating more. I think that one is a bit more complicated because exercise has so many benefits, you'd never recommend someone not to exercise if they can.

It sounds like you are on track anyway though, keep it up! :)

I did a two week full liquid/ high protein pre-op diet. I am very thankful I did. I am 29 days out and have not eaten one thing I feel guilty about. In fact my sweet cravings are a thing of the past. I believe the pre-op diet prepared me mentally for the food behaviors I was going to have to change (binging, self-sabotaging, etc).

cmack

Staff member
I did a two week full liquid/ high protein pre-op diet. I am very thankful I did. I am 29 days out and have not eaten one thing I feel guilty about. In fact my sweet cravings are a thing of the past. I believe the pre-op diet prepared me mentally for the food behaviors I was going to have to change (binging, self-sabotaging, etc).
Welcome,

I'm glad you are feeling prepared, it sounds like you are in "the zone" :). I wish you the best with everything.:ghug:

You can try a juice cleanse for losing your weight or body fat. Since it’s a quick fix for those who want to lose their weight quickly. Juice cleanses detoxify your overall body and purify your mind. As well as cleanse will boost your immune system, keeps your carving under control and support your digestive system.