• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying to understand

I was diagnosed in January 2013 and ever since hen I have felt like nobody understands I know they try but they just know how I am feeling ever since I was diagnosed I have felt like people treat me different when they find out am I the only who feels this way I haven't been able to really wrap my head around how serious this is and I think I am finally seeing that this is serious I have been in the hospital for a bad flare up and I don't want to be here ever time a flare up happens I want to be able to get into remission I need some advice how do other people deal with disease how do I change my whole way of life how I get the motivation to exercise and eat right how do I change my diet to low fiber and stick with it I have so many questions hopefully someone can help me get some answers.....

David

Co-Founder
Hi tyler and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling like nobody understands but I think you'll find that is about to change since you found us :)

As for the diet question, I would suggest posting it in our diet forum located here.

All my best to you.

Sorry your having such a hard time with it:( I have often felt like nobody knowns what I'm going though and I haven't met anybody who is going though it. But I have found that there are a lot of good people on this site who do care and do understand what your going through. People who may have some answers for you. As far as dealing with crohns it just takes time learning what foods will set you off. It sucks but its just a trail and error. I have been gluten free the last year and it has really help me. And I don't eat any peanuts!
Good luck and keep asking questions!

Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed in 1998 when they were trying to administer chemo (appendix cancer). I couldn't tolerate the chemo and they had to stop it.
What I have learned is that any new diagnosis is very scarey and it took me a long time to get used to the idea of having crohns. Some people do treat me differently. I think it has more to do with the fact that they don't know what to say to me or how to act around me. Just know that you are not alone and it really does take time to figure out what you can eat and what causes problems for you. Everyone is different. Soft bland food is what I go to when I start to have a flare up. And I try to keep my stress level in check, if I don't, this disease will do it for me. We all care !:)

tyler,
I remember feeling that same way. I didn't tell anyhow I had crohn's because I didn't think they'd understand. Turns out I was wrong. Most people can relate to tough times and only want to help. It seems like you have a lot going on. I hate hospitals myself. I hope your flare up is better soon! I would try to relax. Eat what you can. You don't have to change your whole life, and pretty soon you will be able to eat just about whatever you want.