• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying wine for the first time!

Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I never drank alcohol, and of course since I was diagnosed my doctor stressed that I should avoid any alcoholic drinks.

Just to give you an overview of how things are with me: I'm diagnosed with Crohn's in both the stomach and the ileum and I'm currently not flaring, but not in remission, so kind of stuck in between. In my current state, my stomach can barely tolerate coffee in low doses and if I drink say a whole cup of coffee (with milk of course) that would upset my stomach for one or two days.

My question is, should I try out wine or not? I mean, is it something that I should stay away from for the rest of my life. Or is it OK to drink, but in low amounts?

I would love to know how do you guys (who drink) keep up, and if there are any tips or hints, please let me know.

Wine is the only alcohol that crosses my lips. I only started drinking it at age 30 and very infrequently so my tolerance is very low. Even a 1/2 glass can get me tipsy.

Diagnosed with Crohns at age 40. Wine never aggravated my crohns, I still drink it.

I did have to water down the coffee though. I make it myself with a weak brew. I don't order coffee out anymore because most places make it too strong. At work I mix 1/2 coffee and 1/2 water in my cup, and only have it once a day.

If you can tolerate wine, then go for it.

Wine is the only alcohol that crosses my lips. I only started drinking it at age 30 and very infrequently so my tolerance is very low. Even a 1/2 glass can get me tipsy.

Diagnosed with Crohns at age 40. Wine never aggravated my crohns, I still drink it.

I did have to water down the coffee though. I make it myself with a weak brew. I don't order coffee out anymore because most places make it too strong. At work I mix 1/2 coffee and 1/2 water in my cup, and only have it once a day.

If you can tolerate wine, then go for it.
Thanks for sharing this with me. My point was that I never tried drinking wine before I was diagnosed, and I really don't want to end up in the hospital for drinking some.

But interestingly enough, my stomach never tolerated black coffee, even long before I was diagnosed. And now that I have Crohn's, it still can't tolerate a lot of it, and I make mine with 50% water 50% milk and a small teaspoon of coffee, to make it as light on the stomach as possible..

I just don't have a reference for wine. But given the information you just provided me with, I think I might consider taking a sip and seeing what happens.

Let's see what others will think of this. :)

I tried a sample of wine in the store recently and spent a lot of time in the bathroom. I gave up coffee a long time ago because it upset my stomach.

cmack

Staff member
My GP has told me not to drink heavily, he says that 2-3 beer or wine is okay a couple or three times a week, be sure to make sure you aren't taking any drugs that could interact badly, Tylenol/acetaminophen is a bad one that when combined with alcohol can cause acute liver failure. I find Merlot to be a very nice red wine. If it was me, I would try a small sip and see if anything happens, from there I would gradually see if it bothers you to have a little more. If all goes well, enjoy in moderation. Homemade wine is best because it doesn't have a bunch of additives that may cause trouble. The stuff from the liquor store gives me a bad headache and my stomach doesn't like it. My father makes wine and it is totally fine with my system. Potassium metabisulfite is an additive that comes with many store bought wines and wine making kits. We choose to leave it out when making our wine from a kit, and this seems to prevent the headaches and stomach sickness. Here is a link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

Last edited:
Never thought about additives. I live near the NY Finger Lakes with all the wineries and I almost always buy finger lakes wines.

I also prefer traditional wines, they may be less likely to have the additives.

I have a 1/2 glass of wine about 6x a year. Never on a night before returning to work.

Bufford

Everybody is different. Having said that I drink a glass or two of homemade red wine I make using those wine kits each day with supper. I find that it helps with my digestion. I also do enjoy a scotch periodically. Beer, cocktails with sugar and sodas are out.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Never thought about additives. I live near the NY Finger Lakes with all the wineries and I almost always buy finger lakes wines.

I have a 1/2 glass of wine about 6x a year. Never on a night before returning to work.
Didn't realize you were that close to me! I was in Montour Falls/Horseheads just a few weeks ago!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Pretty wild...

I live 12 miles from the Watkins Glen Racetrack on the back roads. Near Monterey.
Cool! Maybe next time I'm in the area I'll look you up! Not sure when that will be though, my annual staff meeting in Montour Falls in January was cancelled this year......

cmack

Staff member

You certainly don't drink too much wine. I really enjoy it, just another expense though. When I get a bottle of nice merlot, I enjoy it during an evening with good company.