• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tuck in shirt?

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
I've had an ileostomy since the ending of 2011. I still am unable to tuck in my shirt. I worry about my bag filling up while squashed under my pants and shirt. What do you ileostomites do? Sometimes I feel so sloppy when my shirt is untucked.

Mahalo!

DJW

Forum Monitor
I avoid form fitting cloths. I prefer dark pants and light shirts. Hides a full pouch if I can't get to a washroom quickly. I do leave shirts untucked if possible.

annawato

Staff member
Elastic waistbands and loose tops for me. Sorry i can help you with this one. Luckily you live in Hawaii though where loose clothing and untucked shirts are more common.

annawato

Staff member
Yes I can understand that. Business shirts are supposed to be tucked in I guess. I usually wear tights in winter so my bag is squashed underneath the tights plus some things I wear the waistband sits on or near my ileo. It doesn't seem to cause any problems though - maybe needing to empty more but I have very high output so need to empty often anyway. Have you tried tucking in? maybe it would be better than you think?

I actually *do* tuck in my shirt. I also wear relatively body fitting clothes. My only "rule" around clothing is to make sure that the waistband on my pants and skirts don't sit on my stoma. Otherwise, I almost always have my bag "squished" by something that holds it firm against my body...if I'm wearing a loose dress or skirt, I'll either put on tights or boxer briefs to minimize flopping and any 'bulges' should my bag get too full.

I've not had a problem at all with skinny jeans or any other form of tight clothing. The only thing I don't wear is a body fitting dress.

My only suggestion would be to try wearing your shirt tucked in while you're at home and seeing how your body does with it. I always try out clothing I'm unsure about at home and walk around in it for a few hours before feeling confident enough in public. If the bag's going to bust, I'd rather it happens in the safety of my own home!

Good luck,

Kismet

I wear leggings a lot with longer loose tops, but when I wear jeans I wear them under my Stoma, it sits high. Have to say I've not tried tucking in as I am still very conscious of people seeing my bag.

I only tuck I my shirt if I'm wearing a jumper or vest.
I do have tailored business shirts that look a little more neat untucked - but I do feel like a scruff with an untucked business shirt under a suit jacket.
I do have a stretchy singlet vest that is super tight that I wear to try and flatten everything out if I'm going on a date or doing something that makes me feel self conscious.
My Stoma sticks out a mile and I think it's quite obvious and I'm not very comfortable knowing people can see it.
I love summer when I can wear breezy baggy shirts and nobody sees anything.