• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tummy and bum pain. mainly at night . anyone else?

does anyone else mqinly get pain a night . lew get his from about tea time onwards for most of the niht he does sleep partially but even when he sleeps he moans . is this normal he can go all dqy at the minute and nothing hen bam night comes and it kicks of dos anyone else have this prob or know why this is happening . hes always had probs at night but then it settles down but this is the longest spell its been nearly 5 Months . hope your all well and ypu enjoyed tour new year celebrations .x

Yup! We knew Grace was getting worse when her pains started to come during the day.
Her pain still prefers to make an appearance at night. Usually right when I find that comfy spot and fall asleep!

i no same with lew i.ll just curl up and read a book and then he.ll shout MUM hes back we havnt given him a name yet the pains just called hes back. me and my hubby just look at each other and say ur turn lol we dont get phased now its normal to us un normal would be a night of no pain .
maybe our docs should live a week in our houses to see how al this effects the family dynamics lolx

my little penguin

Staff member
Same here- when he could not be distracted - I think is the issue or just plain hold it together only so long.
Not sure
But thankfully -- it's been a while for DS
Hot packs warm baths
That was about it
Have you tried tv as a distraction

oh yes he has a tv in his room as well as xbox he is now champion on fifa 13 lol . the tv is o ly so i dont have to carry him up and down the stairs . i always said id never let them have a tv in his room but tbh i use it as babysitter when its 4 am and im that tired i fall asleep i put a football channel on and hes fine . crohns has turned me into the mum i said i would never become lol .

We had the same problem for such a long time! Like MLP suggested we used screens as a distraction, usually in the form of an iPad in bed. Thankfully this has, for the most part, cleared up.

It may be coincidental but my son's nighttime abdo pain significantly lessened when he started taking a probiotic and vitamin B2.

I hope you all get some relief soon.

twiggy dis he take b2 becausehe was juat difficent in that or was it something u were just advised to do . he drinks yakult and probiotics yogurt drinks everyday as many as he wants . i should mqybe awk about giving an overall multi vitamin
he drinks 2 peadiasure drinks a day to help maintain his weight.

does anyone else have a speacial cuboard juat for the kids meds mi e looks like a tiny pharmachy haha.x

my little penguin

Staff member
Yep pharmacy here
Ask the doc about abdominal migraines
Treatment is large amounts if b2 and magnesium

Will he drink peptamen jr or modulen ?
Something easier on his system than pediasure ??

crohnsinct

YOU ARE AN AWESOME MOM! Different than you dreamed because your child is also different but awesome nonetheless. It takes a special person to deal with the cards you have been dealt and he was put in your care because you are such a person. Cut yourself some slack mama!

AZMOM

Ditto what Crohn'sinct says. You are awesome and we do what we have to!!

PS Claire's room got a tv about 6 months ago ;).

J.

We got Johnny a tv in his room for the same reason. :shifty-t: He had pain at night for months, I think he was in the process of healing, it is gone now. I think it is just soreness from eating/drinking all day and food moving through. I took time but did go away.

Yep, I was one of those people who never planned to let the kids have a tv in their room or let them play the playstation more than an hour! However after night time pain and when Andrew could hardly walk with the abscess on his bum they both have one.
I am a great believer in whatever keeps my kids happy these days. They have enough pain and stress, its great to see them enjoying themselves.
Amy always seemed to really start around 6pm. Never could understand why it seemed so much worse at night.
I agree the docs should try live a few days in our shoes! Maybe be a bit more sympathetic

lewis's mom, you should be sooo proud of yourself... just had to add that after reading your posts :)

maybe a wee hot cup of peppermint tea, sometimes that settles my stomach and helps with pain at night.

keep up the amazing work :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I wonder if pain is worse at night because of the lack of distraction, the lack of movement and if you have your main meal in the evening the body trying to digest it???

You are doing a fab job Mum...:ghug: Overtime I have fallen in with not stressing about the small stuff anymore. Life's too short and our kids have been robbed of what a lot of others take for granted. I well understand your previous thoughts and wishes with how things were going to be with your children and that is a very fine thing to have but our once noble ideals were based on children that slept through the night without a worry in the world. Now we just roll with the punches, think on our feet and do whatever it takes to lighten the load for them. :)

Dusty. xxx

thanks for the support ladies . we are in a good place at the minute guess what

No tummy or bum pain for 2 days whoop whoop

i dont no what the hell happened either the aza has kicked in hes been twking it for nearly a month now
but we are happy happy happy .
its so true what u said dusty roll with the punches my parents hand book is well and truley being re written ...

ive eaten toast and jam and custard creams in bed at 4 am with lew cause sometimes its the knly time he can eat ..
and sascot oh the bum and tummy pain we are well versed i. that niht time pain lewis has bum cheeks like rocks due to his bum thrusting cause hes in so much pain horrible isnt it .. im going to try the peppermint tea at night dont no if he.ll drink but i do have some capsules i use them for my ibs and aak about. b2 .weve got the 10 th 14 th and 17 th january at the hospital either seeing gastro sugeon and then looking forwqrd to i flimab on the 17 th . crazy how a good couple of days can lift your mood amd and make you feel positive . hope your all well ladies .. were of to play football in the park ... xxx

Happy to hear Lewis is feeling better. :) Once Johnny started feeling better we would have a day or two here or there that he would have some pain but that became less and less over time. (((((Hugs))))

Just as thi gs start to get better I get a phone call from the hospital ,,, Lewis blood work from yesterday shows his neatrophils levels are 0.3 the first week he had them they were 0.9 when he had his abscess they Rose after the swelling and infec went away to 1.8 ..... He's not unwell now infect he's good his White blood count was 2.6. I think that's what she said my heart was beating so fast from when she said his neautrophil levels I'm not sure if that's the correct amount.....

We've gotta stop aza straight away we having a phone meeting with gastro Monday first thing they said we gotta treat Lewis now as if he has no immune system at alll

So any slight cough cold temp gotta go straight in ... I'm panicking like mad . Im worried his abscess will come back and this time they.ll struggle to get it under control....

I no I need to stay calm and not show lew I'm worried so I'm taking the dog for a walk to try and relax .. Has anyone else had neautrophils or blood count so low with aza.xxxx

Hi Lewis mum I'm so sorry about the news
I hope everything goes ok for ur little man,
Try not to worry to much... But I know that's easier
Said than done. (((((Hug))))) x x

Johnny had that reaction to 6mp as well. His neutrophil count was at 1.9 and his White blood cell count was at 3.7. (Our labs might have different ranges for normal) It took a few months to bounce back up. We did end up having to take him into emergency for something else during that time. Just make sure if you go to the ER you let them know right away what his count is. They should give him a mask and put him in a separate room immediately. Picking up something at the hospital is what you want to prevent. Otherwise Johnny didn't get sick at all. He did have a sore throat with some white patches and we had him gargle with mouth wash to keep it from getting infected. Just don't hesitate to call the Dr. if you are noticing anything.

Try not to worry. They have caught it now and are taking the appropriate steps. That is why they do blood draws so frequently so they can catch things before they get out of hand.

((((Hugs))))) Let us know how Lewis is doing.

thanks jonnys mum i feel a bit better now . they told me that at the hosp to to keep him in the car if he needs to come in amd they.ll separate him from other kids . i didnt ask them but im wondering if i should send him to school did u send him in . i.m gona check in the morning its he first day back monday after xmas hols .x

I did send him to school but I asked the school nurse to call me if they had a high number of kids out do to illness. I also sent him to school with hand wipes. Antibacterial lotion or hand sanitizer only kills bacteria, not viruses but the wiping action of the hand wipes will take a virus off the hands. I also sent them with his younger sister.:) And I let the teacher know that he would need to wash his hands before lunch and just to give her a heads up on watching for illness. They might be quicker to send a classmate home with a tummy ache or be nice enough to wipe the desks down or something if they know how serious the situation is. And by serious I just mean for Lewis to struggle with an illness when he has already been through enough. We also did vitamins and had a strict policy of everyone washing their hands as soon as they came into the house. I was very strict on this but it made a difference. Johnny didn't get as sick as many of classmates even with his low WBC.

Hang in there, those counts will be back up soon. The good news is I actually read a study that kids who have that sort of reaction of leukopenia tend to have longer remission rates.

Sorry to hear about this. I don't have experience with the low blood count, but Andrew's liver enzymes went through the roof with the Aza and we were told to stop immediately after only 6 weeks. Took a while for his levels to come down, but seemed fine in himself. Hope everything settles down. Did they give any indication what the next step would be?

Hi Lewis' mum, I haven't posted on here for a while but after reading this wanted to share what's been happening with Ella.
Ella has been on Azathioprine and had the 3 loading doses of Infliximab, Ella experienced a lot of joint pain and has a question mark over her as to whether its Crohn's related arthritis or side effect of Infliximab. So she will have no more Infliximab.
At the beginning of Dec we were admitted to hospital as Ella was unable to walk on her left leg, they did blood tests and her wbc was very low with her neutrophils being 0.07. She had to stop taking Aza straight away and has had to have weekly blood tests to monitor her wbc. Unfortunately they have t improved and we have one month to see an improvement or she will have to have a bone marrow test. I'm sorry I don't really understand what will happen after that.
Ella does have to avoid crowded areas and if she gets a temp will have to go into hospital, but do far we have been ok.
The worry is obviously when they are off the meds that the Crohn's will become worse.
I hope Lewis' blood count improves quickly, I have been told Ella has been a complicated case and everyone is so different.
Lets pray that 2013 will be a better year for everyone.
Take care Steph xx

thanks jonnys mum for advice ive decided im going to send him butmake sure gis teavhers keep o. eye on hygiene and kids that ae sick they are usually very good hes missed so much school and really eants to go in
thanks sascot for all the advice ur a gem

hi stephyjane uve wonderd how ella was and often look for any new post from you . im so sorry uve been throuh the mill with her im hoping his wbc and neautrohils rise . has she gone back to school yet .xx p.s ive sent u a pm .xx

Ella wasn't allowed to go to school, which was very hard for her as she loves school and missed all the fun Christmas things. I had a long conversation with Ella's dr on Fri and he said she can go back tomorrow, but watch for temp etc.
she has a trip to France with the school in 8 weeks time and she will be devastated if she can't go.
It was interesting reading about tv in the bedroom, I have the rule of no tv but Ella is suffering a lot with not being able to go to sleep, sometimes it's past midnight, I wonder if it may help her or just keep her awake longer!! Xx

i hope shes well enough to go to the school trip im going to double check with the docswbout lewis ive just thought with his levels being lower than ellas it mqy be that his llevels are lower because hes younger . ive had a t.v in his roo. for a while now when hes had enough he turns it of or falls asleep it helps him think of something else then by the time hes distracted hes usually tired enough to fall asleep im in his room most night anyway .may be its worth having a trial period for her . what are he wbc levels at the minute.xx

So sorry to hear that both Lewis and Ella had bad reactions to azathioprine. It is so hard to deal with this disease when there is no clear cut path to the right treatment and bad drug side effects everywhere you turn. I've got my fingers crossed that both Lewis and Ella's WBC count will improve quickly.

Stephyjane - Has Ella's leg improved? My son was unable to walk on his left leg for 3 months due to Crohn's related arthritis. It took forever to get the Crohn's related arthritis diagnosis even though it seemed rather obvious to me.

Twiggy- Ella's leg pain has improved, she has continual aches and pains, we saw the Rheumotogolist who is talking Methotrexate when her neutropenia improves. I know her GI is convinced it's the meds but Ella had joint pain way before Infliximab. She also has hypermobility.

Lewis' mum, the last record I have of Ella's wbc is 2.2 and neutrophils 0.18 but they have dropped further this past week. I think after having a chat to a haemotologist Ella's dr decided to let her go back to school, we have the plan of what will happen next, I think she is more prone to infection sitting in a drs waiting room sometimes xx

thanks twiggy m positive things wil improve hes had a good few days so fingersctossed hisblevels will rise .

ive spoken to the hospital they dont want him in school yet we having a telephone meeting with the gastro doc and his nurses tomorrow they.ll prob want bloods during the week amd then take it from there i suppose to se if they have improved . steph my daughter ellie has hypermobility joint syndrome she started showing signs 3 years ago when she couldnt walk properly in the morning and putting weight on her legs was unbearable she goes to physio and has been advised to wear speacal soles in her shoes shes going throuh a growth spurt so needs new insoles. making . i hope her wbc levels rise so she can start meds to help with her legs.xx

Whew also have a TV but only DVD player. Rarely use it anymore. She usually sleeps at night now that the UC is gone. We are not without many troubles still though. DH never wanted a tv, but I was at the end of my rope watching the same movies with her over and over again. Mommy needs some time and sometimes she just wouldn't play and wanted her heating pad.

Talking about the book. Wouldn't it be nice it there were a "What to Expect when you child has IBD" the parents guide to from A to Z. Heck I would be happy with the manual for a jpouch "The Man made Colon". Ugh

DustyKat

Super Moderator
So sorry to hear about the setback Mum. :( We have not had the issue with low neutrophils here but I know in the past I have read of adult members on the forum suffering with it.

Good luck with the consult today!

A question for those with children that have had neutropenia. Have injections of Neupogen ever been suggested?

Dusty. xxx

Hi Dusty,
I asked if anything could be done about Ella's neutropenia, and the dr did mention injections but at the time said once she was off the Aza it should come back quickly. Since then it has dropped very low and now they are saying she may need a bone marrow test. I am quite confused by it all. If anyone has any experience to why they do these with drug induced neutropenia I would be very grateful to hear about it. Thank you Steph x

god that book would be great . all the worry and issues we go through .lol

ive read up on neautropena injections maybe that might be a possibilty for ella steph. h ope her levels rise and she dpsnt have to have the bone marrow tests she been throuh so much bless her .

i spoke with our ibd nurse she has told us lew can go in school she said the docs on call were over reacting about keeping him isolated she said u can take precautions wipes and keep him away from kids who have sickness etc other wise she said hed never be in school so tomorrow is mummys and daddys day out whoop whoop . lol

she said his bloods he would normal have on thursday will be done as normal then they will decide a plan of action . she is thinking if the aza isnt working for lewis we gona try met cant remember its full name but she said its what aza is turned into in the body . has anybody changed from aza to this . im just woried if we keep trying all these diff strong meds and his fistulas stay there and keep flaring up is there any point in even taking them the whole reason he taks them is to stop getting new abscess and fistulas .
his infliximab is goin ahead as normal aswell . just ope his wbc and neauteophils rise so it dosnt complicate things . x

DustyKat

Super Moderator
The med would be Mercaptopurine (6MP).

It is possible to have side effects with one and not the other. Good luck with the bloods on Thursday!

Dusty. xxx

thanks dustykat .xxx im feeling hopeful things are going good hes really active and being a little monkety to be honest hes not been like thisbfor at least 6. months ... oh and my hubby got offerd a job he got today he got made redundant 2 weeks before xmas . tbh hes been a good help at home with lewis especially being in hospital . x

hea doing nights driving lorrys a total 180 from his old job he was a gas manager but it brings in the pennies . we tired pulling an allnighter i caved in and went bed he starts tonite so hes in bed and im trying to be quiet lol good job lew gone back in today otherwise hed get no sleep . hope your all well .how r ur to doing sascot.x

Great news about the job:dance:
I've got my fingers crossed for Lewis being at school. Ella went in yesterday, full of cold this morning but gone back in. The school is being fantastic with her.
Ella has her next blood tests this Fri so lets hope they both have better news next week.xxxx

ye definatly we should both no by monday i.ll prob ring at 8am fri morning lol the nurses no me by my voice now. lew had a fab day at wchool he did a maths test he got 93% outa 100 im so proud of him hes probaly only done 3 weeka since they went back . fifa 13 has seriously helped with his reading and maths he has to add up milions of pounds i struggle sometimes lol. hope ellas cold stays a cold wnd she dosnt get a temp . ive started with a bad chest sods law when im home alone and i hqve loads to catch up on .x

lewis levels have come up hank god . his neautrophils are 1.1 and his wbc is 3.2 so were happy with that . hes had bad tummy though amd his bum is sore . so hes sat on he couch curled up like a bambino .hes had a good few days so we expected for things to get worse when the aza was wearing of . we have a meeting monday with his gastro doc so fingers crossed well have a new plan of action for he nxt few months hes got his first football match since last october tomorrow i just hope hes well enough to go . x

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I hope things continue to improve for Lewis, bless him. :hug:

I so hope he is well for the football match and good luck with the consult on Monday! :goodluck:

Dusty. xxx

Shame - hope he manages to go to his football match. Andrew is away to his this morning - you know the weather has been mild for weeks and today (his first football match since November) it is freezing and we're scraping cars! Made him put on an extra pair of socks :).
Hope the appointment on Monday goes well!

i no crazy this weather isnt it .weve had a very thin layer of snow here how about u m i was looking forward to the kids being of school and us going sleding . he managed his football match scored 2 goals he played really well . but hes been suffering since i dont no if its cause it tyres him out but hes had tummy ache since sat night we only went to sleep at 1.30 this morning. even had to give him some codiene the pain got that bad . im hoping our doc has a new plan for him today . even lewis said im getting sick of this mum .bless.x how dis andrew get on at footie today .xx

Wow, 2 goals - that's great! Andrew's team won 4 - 0, being a goalie, Andrew didn't score any :) but I believe he saved a couple. Hope they have a plan today as well

my little penguin

Staff member
One thought you may want to ask your doc about
Bum pain and stomach pain can sometimes be perianal strep
Especially in kids ... It is reoccurring in normal kids even without our wonderful immunosuppressants .

Hope he feels better soon

hi guys thanks for the advice mlp he got tested for hat last uear all was negative . wo our new plan is this start back on qza they saidbit was because of infction it dropped sonlow and as we saw an improvemnent its better to try once more so if bloods are good before his infliximab thurs we.ll go bqck on it fridwy . we doing infliximab 4 weekly .starying domperidone as he now has reflux which they said has got worse keepbwith the omeprazole and buscopan use mebevrine if it gets worse . and to see the child phycologiwt see if we can help him dewl with all this cause being in pain everyday would send me over the edge let alone my little boy my doc said lewis is a tricky case as his inflammation markers and bloods apart from neautrophils are good . he dosnt understand how hes getting so much pain . maybe this is were the phycologist will come in who knows bloody crohns is sucha learning curve evry time i go .our doc actualy understood me this time he listened when i said its effecting our life he dosnt go a day with out pain . apart from the 5 days he had when the aza kicked in . im just hoping he contines to get better and this oain stops hed be able to deal with the crohns but when hes tird he gets annoyed that no on van help take the pain away. hes gone to school today hey havjt rang so thats a bounus lol