• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tumors/melanoma and remicade

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
tumors/melanoma and remicade

Does anyone know of someone with melanoma who was also on Remicade? Has your doctor ever mentioned an increase incidence.....thanks.

ameslouise

Hi there - welcome back. Haven't seen ya in a while!

Can't give you any advice, but good luck. I hope it's not too serious.

- Amy

Certainly on Azathioprine & because my skin was already a bit sensitive after years of serving overseas I had a number of carcinomas removed. OK not melanomas but they can turn into malignant lesions. Shame because the Azathioprine did a superb job on my Crohns-but I had to stop it because of my skin issues.
Keep well

I didn't have what you are talking about but I did have a big tumour diagnosed as clear cell cancer (rare and aggressive) a couple of years back. None of the 15 doctors I have talked to are sure whether or not Remicade caused it. I was on Remicade for 5 years, one of those years spent on Immuran/Remi combination.

hawkeye

Staff member
Any of the reading I have done seems to be concentrated on an agressive form of lymphoma (Hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma (HSTCL)). The more reading I do, I get the sense that it is rare. Did hear about people on Remicade getting lung cancer, but they were smokers, so not sure what effect the Remicade would have had.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I had a tumor removed today. The doctor said it looks benign. Yeah! I will just be waiting on the pathology report to confirm. Thanks for your replies!

If someone has a malignant tumor they should not be on an anti-tumor necrosis medication, like Humira, Remicade, etc.

Dr. S

I'm on Humira for Crohn's and had melanoma. Doctors
don't necessarily think it's linked but I am skeptical since no family history of melanoma and being relatively young (31 when diagnose with melanoma). But docs say the risks outweigh the benefits. I have also had a few other precancerous cells removed.