• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Turmeric for UC - tikka massala?

Wondering if anyone found the same - I always notice a vast improvement in my symptoms after I've been naughty and had an Indian takeaway, I always assume I'll be worse because of the fat content! I'm wondering if its the turmeric, I did some research and found some ppl with UC take turmeric supplements.

Does anyone on here take Turmeric supplements? Where can I get some?
Has anyone else noticed the same!

Turmeric is fat soluble so by eating it with fat, you actually absorb it better.

I take mine in capsules with coconut oil. I buy mine from Swansons but it is available from many sources.

I have found MSM to be really helpful for inflammation also.

Dan.

rygon

I actually find my stomach worse after curries, I'm not sure of it's the onions

I did buy some supplements, I found the cheapest was from amazon, the one's I got was Doctors best C3 curcumin, but to be honest I just buy the ground turmeric and add it to meals.

Funnily enough I'm making a curry now, best add some before I forget ;)

nogutsnoglory

Rygon I took a turmeric supplement at the same dose of some trials and felt worse. Maybe it burns the open wounds? I know this is being studied and believe it's currently in clinical trial. I think it's interesting as an adjunct for some but not very promising. I look fwd to hearing other experiences.

rygon

Tbh, I didn't notice any improvement. It didn't cause any problems so will still add it to dishes that needs it, but won't be buying any more supplements as it's quite expensive in my eyes

I add fresh curcumin root (looks like ginger root) when I make my juice every morning. I don't know how much it helps. Hasn't hurt though.

I have had times where Turmeric or Curcumin will bother me. I called Swansons and asked if they test their supplements because I thought I had a bad batch. They said they do test for contaminants.

I was getting ill at the time but did not know it yet. These supplements can cause stomach upset. It is known that can happen. Normally, it does not bother me, but when things start going south, it can bother me.

So I quit taking my Imuran as it was not helping anyway. I switched to a curcumin boswellia blend capsule instead of straight Turmeric or Curcumin and added MSM capsules.

Also started treating myself since I really have no acceptable options left. Doing well so far.

Dan

helps a little, but i think its toxic too. you can over do it.

i prefer japanese knotweed as a source of resveratrol its better then turmeric but different in its effects. also too much is toxic you have to find the right dose, but more effective then turmeric i believe.

it is a powerful stimulator of autophagy, a process which destroys intracellular bacteria, and this is a big defect in crohns. After i become infected with some bacteria in my environment and symptoms increase, i up the dosage slightly and i will expel my stool with extra mucus, which i interpret as a sign that something has just been eradicated from my gut, very likely a bacteria that has replication inside a cell along the gi tract. then return to my previous state of disease severity.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I had read about the benefits of Turmeric on this forum but had never acted on it. Then when my son went to a new GI he suggested he take it.

I looked around a bit and decided to purchase a supplement online. This is the product description of the one I settled on:

Product Details

~100 Capsules
~700mg per capsule (498mg Curcuminoids)
~1 Capsule per serving
~100 servings
~525mg Curcuma longa Extract (95% Curcuminoids), 175mg Piper nigrum ~
(3:1 Curcumin/Pepper Ratio)
~No other ingredients of any kind
~Freshly encapsulated when you order

Matt was in remission for 2 years when he commenced taking it, about 9 months ago, he remains that way and has not had any side effects.

Dusty. xxx