• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"Tushy" bidet

nogutsnoglory

I have wanted a bidet for a while and came across this easy install one called Tushy lol. Thoughts?

It seems to stick up in toilet water I'm just a little germaphobe so I want to make sure I'm getting clean water only which it's supposed to

Worth the purchase?

https://tushy.me

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Wow!!! I don't have experience with a bidet, but I sure like the price! Husband and I have talked a little about maybe getting one for ourselves. I too would be interested in what others have to say about it...

nogutsnoglory

I talked to my mom about it and she made a good point about why this might not be for a crohnie.

If that valve in the toilet bowl sits there waiting to squirt you, it's going to get dirty because we can have messy diarrhea etc, I know it says self cleaning but I'm not sure how sanitary it is if we are spraying fecal matter all over it.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
NGNG, I have a bidet attachment and I love it - it's not the brand you mentioned, though. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/LUXE-Bidet-Vi...TF8&qid=1433256806&sr=8-8&keywords=luxe+bidet

It takes water from the toilet tank, not the bowl. So the water is room temperature and is not poo or urine contaminated. It's been great, I love it. My husband installed it and he said it was easy to hook up (it took him maybe 30 mins tops to install it). We've had it for over a year now and we both love it, even my non-IBD husband would not go without it (he refers to it as "the butt washer" and he complains when we travel that other people/establishments don't have butt washers, ha ha). That particular company is good, too - our first bidet stopped working after maybe 6 months, so we emailed the company and they sent us a new one with no questions asked (they didn't want our old one back, they didn't even ask for our amazon order number - they were so easy to work with). I think we paid about $45 when we first got it, I see the price has dropped quite a bit. Even so, it's been worth every penny we paid, it's one of our favorite things.

What great price alternatives!!! The Toto super fancy bidet is $2,000 and requires a nearby electrical outlet.

We just bought this one, after reading through several threads on this forum:

http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-180-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RMQ1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433307701&sr=8-1&keywords=luxe+bidet

We've only had it installed for 2 days, so I can't vouch for its long-term reliability, but it's working great so far. It has a shield that covers the nozzles until you turn on the sprayer.

My daughter gets terribly sore from wiping when she's having a lot of diarrhea, and I think this will really help during those times.

I love my bidet! (tho it's a freestanding unit built in with a bathroom reno)
Thing I've noticed is that since my Crohn's diagnosis, it's harder to adequately clean the area with dry toilet paper. Not sure if it's the CD, or medication changing stool pH. I don't have fissures or fistulae, but it's easy to get excoriated perianal skin if I don't clean properly.

HD

I didn't like the video. Apart from anything else it doesn't tell you how it works - and I'm a germaphobe too so I'd want to know (or does it show that somewhere else and I missed it?). And it says you save the planet by not using toilet paper, then it tells you to dry yourself with toilet paper!

Though I would really like a bidet, but a proper one. My grandparents have one in each of their (many) bathrooms.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ellie, I know what you mean. Sometimes I have to wipe about 10 times before I even approach feeling clean. My bidet makes me feel much cleaner than TP alone. Even wet wipes don't really compare.

nogutsnoglory

NGNG, I have a bidet attachment and I love it - it's not the brand you mentioned, though. I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/LUXE-Bidet-Vi...TF8&qid=1433256806&sr=8-8&keywords=luxe+bidet

It takes water from the toilet tank, not the bowl. So the water is room temperature and is not poo or urine contaminated. It's been great, I love it. My husband installed it and he said it was easy to hook up (it took him maybe 30 mins tops to install it). We've had it for over a year now and we both love it, even my non-IBD husband would not go without it (he refers to it as "the butt washer" and he complains when we travel that other people/establishments don't have butt washers, ha ha). That particular company is good, too - our first bidet stopped working after maybe 6 months, so we emailed the company and they sent us a new one with no questions asked (they didn't want our old one back, they didn't even ask for our amazon order number - they were so easy to work with). I think we paid about $45 when we first got it, I see the price has dropped quite a bit. Even so, it's been worth every penny we paid, it's one of our favorite things.
Isn't it the same concept though being a rod in toilet that gets splashed on?

Haemorrhoids and other rectal issues can make it difficult to fully empty your bowel, which results in it seeming like you have to wipe and wipe to get clean, it's actually because there's still a bit left inside. My colorectal surgeon told me this when I had a rectal prolapse, which is another cause of it.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Isn't it the same concept though being a rod in toilet that gets splashed on?
Yes and no. Yes, it does hang down over the water, but hardly at all. Mine is like an inch or so below the toilet seat, it's well above the water. I haven't ever noticed it getting splashed or sprayed with unclean toilet bowl water. It's just barely in the toilet at all. I'm a pretty massive germophobe but my bidet getting splashed with poo water has never happened and isn't on my list of anxieties. :)

UnX, that makes sense about internal hemorrhoids - I definitely have them and I'm sure at times they make me feel like I still have "stuff" in my rectum that I can't get out, so I would wager they're also contributing to the "need to wipe a million times" feeling too.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Yes, I too have complained about not getting completely clean between the TP and wipes. This has been something I've mentioned to my GI before. I've gotten fissures but not hemorrhoids.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Same problem: I just spend all my money on wipes. lol. Anytime I use just TP it doesn't do the trick and my bum hates me for it. Maybe I should consider this investment......

Yes, I too have complained about not getting completely clean between the TP and wipes. This has been something I've mentioned to my GI before. I've gotten fissures but not hemorrhoids.

Hi!

I came across this while looking for reviews of the Tushy and since I just installed one Friday night (6/19/15) (...after having to fix other toilet issues that I found out about when I went to install it...) I thought I'd share my three days worth of experience:

1) After using it for a few days, I totally think it's worth it. Even though it's cold water from the wall valve, I find it refreshing. Maybe not so much come January, though... (If it hadn't required drilling holes for accessing the hot water, I'd've spent the extra for one on Amazon that is a different brand, same style but has a hot water hookup, too.)

2) It uses water from the wall at a point before it enters your toilet at all, so you're not using any toilet water, not even from the tank.

3) The nozzles sit above the water in the bowl and retract when they're not spraying water, and there is a cover in front of them, so even if you're a little explosive, you shouldn't have to worry about getting anything in the nozzles, just on the cover.

4) Not mentioned, but I find it to be quite forceful even on the low setting. I ease it up and never even get to the low setting most of the time. I have a persistent fissure that it seems to hit spot on and it's uncomfortable if I don't twist around a bit. I imagine if one has hemorrhoids, this bidet might not be the best option, but it may also have to do with how much water is coming through my wall outlet, or the fact that I couldn't get the little brass compression washer that came with my new wall valve to stay in the new wall valve while I was hooking everything up so I just left it out.

5) If you have kids, don't ever let them know that if there is nobody sitting on the toilet, it will shoot water across the room when you turn it on. I wasn't expecting that when I turned it on after installing it to see how it works and water hit the door across from the toilet. :ylol:

Last edited:
satinswan - thank you for your review, I hope it carries on working for you! It's good to know it's clean water it's using. I don't fancy the idea of a cold water bidet though.