• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Two biologicals at once??

I have been on Stelara for 4 years for my psoriasis. My GI is looking at putting me on Humira. I am a bit concerned about taking 2 biologicals at once.

Has anyone taken Humira and Remicade at once?

Since Stelara works on interleukin 12 and interleukin 23 and not TNF, they are not the same. But it seems that the interleukin's stimulate the production of TNF.

nogutsnoglory

I had this discussion with my rheumatologist who said the conventional wisdom is not to use two biologics at the same time. He did say there is growing evidence that it may be ok to do so however. I can't comment on this particular combo but if not both anti-TNF maybe that's why they feel it's ok.

Hi MrJohns,

Have you started on this dual-biologic approach ? I'm intrigued. I was taking Stelara up until a week ago, when we decided to start Simponi instead when it appeared I was flaring. However, I may have jumped ship too soon as, just a couple days later (right after I loaded with Simponi) i tested positive for c.diff.

Do you have any literature citations to support this methodology? I'd rather be on two biologics than the dreaded prednisone....

I dropped Stelara and started Humira. The GI thought we couldn't justify it due to lack of data. I could find NO literature citations by searching the public web. I don't have paid access to any real journals.