• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Types of Crohn's disease?

Hi everyone,
A question for the collective wisdom of the group :)
( ?Judith or David)
Any suggestions for good reference info on diagnostic sub groups of CD? I know it's divided under the anatomical area of the GI tract involved, and/or as inflammatory/fibrostenotic/fistularizing.
I hadn't really been aware of microscopic colitis before.
But even the medical literature I've found doesn't seem to fully categorise the condition.
My personal experience of the disease is of relatively mild GI involvement (I probably still wouldn't have bothered with a colonoscopy 7-8 years later :ybatty: except for bad bilateral iritis.. it's more good luck than good management that I haven't had serious visual impairment), a single episode of ankle arthritis, persisting sacroileitis (wakes me up daily at 4am after bedtime panadeine wears off), and a couple of episodes of costochondritis.
And the SI problems probably preceded the gut symptoms by 5 years or so..
So I understand it's under the heading of GI diseases, but the range of presentation has me perplexed
(have seen a rheumatologist, but not much additional input, and overall management referred back to GI)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Ellie :)

I'm a little confused. Are you wanting information on microscopic colitis, the various types of Crohn's Disease, or maybe the different types of Inflammatory Bowel Disease? What exactly are you looking for? To categorize what specific type of disease you have?

Thanks! :)

nogutsnoglory

Do you mean like ileocolitis, perianal etc? Or do you mean possible causes including bacteria, TNF or genetic influence? It's possible some people have a bacteria type crohns and respond to antibiotics while others who don't respond to different therapies.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I interpret your question as meaning the clinical presentations of Crohn's. If that is the case I think the reason you won't find any definitive answers related to the area of involvement is because it's high variability and the crossing over of symptoms. Hence why symptoms tables aren't location specific. There are some features that are more likely to occur depending on disease location, e.g. fistula's and abscesses in the ileum.

Then there are the Extra Intestinal Manifestations to factor in as well. These are are more common if you have large bowel involvement.

Disease severity is normally rated on clinical presentation, complications and response to treatment. The CDAI may be used as a way of charting your progress or lack thereof but as you will see in this thread it is far from perfect, well in our opinions any way...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=34133

...and this is our sunny dreamworld work in progress...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=35859

Now if everything I have written above is a load of twaddle and in no way related to what you were asking then it will self destruct in three seconds...

Dusty. :)

Is this what you're looking for?

What are the five types of Crohn's disease?
The five types of Crohn's disease with their symptoms are:

Ileocolitis: Ileocolitis is the most common type of Crohn's disease. It affects the small intestine, known as the ileum, and the colon. People who have ileocolitis experience considerable weight loss, diarrhea, and cramping or pain in the middle or lower right part of the abdomen.

Ileitis: This type of Crohn's disease affects the ileum. Symptoms are the same as those for ileocolitis. In addition, fistulas, or inflammatory abscesses, may form in the lower right section of the abdomen.

Gastroduodenal Crohn's disease: This form of Crohn's disease involves the stomach and duodenum, which is the first part of the small intestine. People with this type of Crohn's disease suffer nausea, weight loss, and loss of appetite. In addition, if the narrow segments of bowel are obstructed, they experience vomiting.

Jejunoileitis: This form of the disease affects the jejunum, which is the upper half of the small intestine. It causes areas of inflammation. Symptoms include cramps after meals, the formation of fistulas, diarrhea, and abdominal pain that can become intense.

Crohn's (granulomatous) colitis: This form of Crohn's disease involves only the colon. Symptoms include skin lesions, joint pains, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, and the formation of ulcers, fistulas, and abscesses around the anus.

There can be overlap between these types of Crohn's disease. Some people have more than one area of the digestive tract affected.