• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

UC and Adderall

I was diagnosed with UC almost 10 years ago, and I have managed it by taking probiotics. I found that they worked better than other treatments. I have flare ups on and off, but they have not been anything serious. Recently I was prescribed Adderall for ADHD. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with adderall and UC? Can Adderall trigger or exacerbate flare ups?

Very interesting Zed. Although Adderall technically should not exacerbate UC, (at least the manufacturer doesn't warn about it in the prescribing information), However, it is a stimulant and will promote peristalsis in much of the same manner a stimulant laxative would.

Besides ADHD, did you ever have a problem staying awake through out the day or found yourself too tired to or unable to concentrate?

Last edited:
I have had Crohns for 10 years and also have been taking adderall for about 16 yrs. I can tell you this, flare up or not the amphetamines will make you have to go to the bathroom a lot more because its a stimulant. And if your real sick it might make your flare up worse. If you have to take the adderall, crohns, UC or whatever bowel disorder take some anti diarrhea meds and it will calm the spasms and make you day easier. I don't believe adderall or other ADHD meds help crohns or ibd or UC at all. I only take mine if I have to, so do it sparingly. Hope this helps

Diagnosed with UC back in 2001, and even though I hate to admit it, I was taking Adderall without it being prescribed for less than a couple of years...
Haven't taken it for 6 years now (seriously), and in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY DO I CONDONE IT, but I will say that during that time I was relatively pain free. Still needed to use the bathroom frequently but I noticed a change in energy (obviously), appetite (grew more), and stool (much more solid). I've had flareups that have put me in the hospital several times so I can assure you that it was not at all coincidence looking back through my history