• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ugh.

first time here, dx just a few weeks ago...

The odd part of this story is I was at my healthiest when I smoked two packs a day. That was last in 2005, when I decided to do something for my health and finally quit. I was 34 at the time, and in grad school. Before the end of the year, I was so tired I could barely finish my education. I had also gained about 65 pounds in the year prior. After several doctor visits. I was diagnosed hypothyroid, and put on meds (Synthroid). I have to deal with all of the usual thyroid problems- slow metabolism, weight gain, fatigue, etc, but I got by.

Last year, I put forth some effort and lost about 30 pounds with diet and exercise. It may have been too late, because I also found out I was type 2 diabetic, and put on meds for that (Metformin). I continued to watch what I ate, and was good about exercicing until January of this year, when I got really, really sick with the mother of all illnesses.

I don't know what it was exactly, but it lasted a couple of weeks, coming out both ends. The vomiting quit, but the rest never did. First trip to the regular doc, no dice. Finally gave up and went to my GI, who I only used to see when the IBS or GERD acted up, and that was usually my fault (thanks for nothing, beer and pizza!). After a colonoscopy, CT scan, a small bowel study, and about a gallon of bloodwork over the course of four months, it was confirmed I now have CD. you guessed it- more meds (Apriso).

So, I have a couple of questions. First, when will I know I am in "remission?" I don't have the daily (or hourly) trips to the bathroom, but I am nauseated and cramping for a little while almost every day. Even on good days, everything is oddly shaped (yeah, that). With that, I am still in the bathroom about twice a week. Sure, it's better than it was, but will it get "better?"

Second, I thought I knew tired with the thyroid. Now I am completely exhausted. I take vitamins daily, but wow, it's about all I can do to just go to work every day. Sometimes, I sneak home early because I'm literally falling asleep at my desk. As soon as I get home though, it's find something I can eat, then I'm laying down, and probably out for the night. Anyone have advice for this?

Thanks for reading!

nogutsnoglory

It's interesting that you say that after you quit smoking things seemed to go downhill and the first thing that I thought was that you might have ulcerative colitis because studies have shown that for whatever reason smoking can help keep ulcerative colitis in check the same does not apply to Crohn's disease. It's normal to be very fatigued and have pains and very hard to know the exact cause of that if your bloodwork is normal. remission is one of those things that's really defined differently by different people but if you are in pain, Bowel movements are abnormal and nausea is occurring, the disease is active.

Originally I thought the same because my mother has UC, but the GI said there were Crohn's antibodies present in the bloodtest that confirmed it.