• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative colitis and collagenous colitis!

I have had ulcerative colitis for many years. It began in my rectum, and spread throughout my entire colon. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, and any of the other medications because of an aspirin allergy. I started Humira, and although not completely in remission, I was doing okay. Then, I developed pneumonia, and a very nasty sinus infection, so I had to go off of Humira, and on antibiotics, to get well. This took several months,because the sinus infection was so bad. After that cleared up, I went back on Humira. I began having fevers, pain, and bleeding. I was tested for antibodies, but that revealed nothing. My doctor suggested Simponi. It took months for me to finally receive it, and in the meantime, I was sick. I started Simponi, much easier shot, btw, and nothing was happening. I was going to the bathroom 20 or more times a day...no blood,just constant pain, nights up with diarrhea, and stuck at home. Every bite of food would send me running to the bathroom. this went on for months. My doctor said that Simponi could take a while to kick in. It never did. A recent colonoscopy has revealed collagenous colitis, and I still have Pancolitis. I am taking Entocort, and have had some improvement. My question is, does anyone else have both of these diseases? I am flummoxed. I do take Advil, and Prestiq, and I have a Thyroid condition; did I do this to myself? Any advice would be welcome. HELP!!!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I think you're the first person I've read about to have both Ulcerative Colitis and CC diagnosed. I'm sorry you're having to go through that :(

If I was you, I'd follow the link in my signature. Qu Biologics is starting up an Ulcerative Colitis clinical trial which may be of interest to you.

I wish you well.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Advil is really to be avoided for IBD sufferers. You pharmacist can certainly tell you more about it and propose to you other options.

have you ever tried purinethol, Imuran or methotrexate?