• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative colitis and now crohns?

I am 64 yo and when I was 40 I had a total colectomy with a J pouch installed. I use that expression in jest of course. Over the years I have had many problems with "pouchitis" joint pain, surgery for strictures, etc. My main problem has been the pouchitis at least 3 to 4 times a year.
Is there anyone out there who was first diagnosed with UC and now after total colon removal, crohns?? I've been told that I probably had crohns all along but the UC was just in the large intestine which I now don't have. My gastro doc, who is great, wants me to take budesonide but the side effects are really crappy. (pardon the pun)

Confused and looking for answers.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of people who are initially diagnosed with UC and later with Crohn's. You'll find them all over this forum :(

Do I understand correctly that you've had strictures in your small intestine?

Hi David and thanks for your reply. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Yes have had several pre blockages and one which required surgery in2011
Fortunately I feel them coming on and have stayed out of the hospital for awhile because I now know what to do or rather what NOT to do.
I'll be happy to help anyone having these same issues. I'm a retired nurse and was a former speaker at the crohns and colitis foundation in long Beach yes ago.

Welcome!
I'm another one that was diagnosed in the early nineties with UC and last year re-diagnosed with CD due to strictures that needed a resection.
Like you I had become pretty good at avoiding blockages after many years of practice!

You've come to a great place:thumright:

Yes, luckily I do. They offered to take it out as medication wasn't doing much but I declined in the hope better medication would come along soon.
And strangely my colon is now CD free, no inflammation whatsoever and not any for many years.
Of course I was still having problems but my bloods were mostly good so it was diagnosed with IBS until I finally had a complete blockage at which point the diagnosis became CD.