• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcers on the corners of your mouth?

allieinwonder

ulcers on the corners of your mouth?

Hey everyone. I hope everyone is having a good day. I have a question for you all -

I have been having really bad symptoms lately, and I have had a sort of new one crop up that I am wondering about. I have an ulcer on the corner of my mouth. It looks like a nasty ulcer I would get on the inside of my mouth, but it is right outside, right in the corner where your mouth closes. I had one when this flare started back in September of last year, so this is only my second one. It started out as cracked skin, and became this nasty inflammed red thing. :( I did some research and it is called Angular Cheilitis, and apparently it is caused by a poor immune system and a vitamin B deficiency.

Does anyone else get these? Has your doctor said anything about them? Also, does anyone know any good tricks to get them to go away? I know last time I figured out that drying it out helped it heal. It keeps closing up but when I talk or eat it rips back open. :(

I am considering telling my GI about it, since right now he has given up on trying to see if this is crohn's (my small bowel was never checked, so I am still very skeptical since every medicine he has put me on has done nothing). This just seems to show that its more than a brain to gut problem. I'm also always tired and sleeping 12-16 hours a day...which clicks with a vitamin B deficiency. My next appointment with him is in two months since my meds aren't working.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this!

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes!!! I get it all the time! But since Soupdragon put me onto this, Chapstick original is the only one thing that works because it has Camphor oil in it. NOTHING I have tried in the 20 years have worked. So I ran out and bought is and it is amazing! Also I use Vaseline on my lips at night to keep moisture in and use a sensitive toothpaste. Only Colgate sensitive doesnt make my lips peel. Hope this helps. :banana: :wink:

allieinwonder

Thanks for the tips. :) My husband and I love carmex for chapped lips but it seems to make the sore much worse..I put toothpaste on it actually to dry it out and it seems to have a pretty good scab on it for now. :)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Yes! It's new symptom for me too that appeared this week. I've had cold sores before and these are not, plus I've got a few inside my mouth too.

allieinwonder

Seeing as we both are trying to get a diagnosis, I think we both need to tell our GI's. *nods*

I agree, these are not cold sores! My research just seems to show that IBS wouldn't create this mess either..now time to keep pursuing my GI until he realizes it too.

Yes, I get it all the time. When I do and I cant take it anymore I use hydrocortisone creme.It is my answer to anything skin related :D ...lol
pens got the right idea though - I was told it was a vit B deficiency as well.

I just looked it up, And candidiasis can be a cause. Interesting. I've just started on the SCD diet to try to alleviate my symptoms and apparently the fungus can flare while your body's getting rid of the bad bacteria.
Sheesh! Think I'll go back to chocolate and cake-lol.

LOL... Grumbletum.. I have been battling oral candida for a very long time and have taken so much Nystatin it makes me ill to look at it... it is VERY difficult to get rid of....

allieinwonder

I just looked it up, And candidiasis can be a cause. Interesting. I've just started on the SCD diet to try to alleviate my symptoms and apparently the fungus can flare while your body's getting rid of the bad bacteria.
Sheesh! Think I'll go back to chocolate and cake-lol.
LOL I like the way you think :p

I've been fighting them off for weeks now. I use Carmex constantly (which also has camphor) and it gives me some relief. They were almost gone until I had an hour and a half dentist appt last week. OUCH!

Looking back at my recent flares, the mouth "sores" definitely come at the same time.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to get them but they were small and as you said, they break open anytime you open your mouth too wide. I used Neosporin on them to keep it moist and help it heal and in the mean time wouldn't open my mouth too wide such as eating smaller bites and talking with my mouth a little more closed. Hard to stifle a yawn though. :p

I constantly get these and they sometimes stay for months on end. I also get sores in my nose that scab and are sore, they go back and forth, and yes they are Crohns relates. One of the first few ?'s my Gastro asks is any mouth or nose sours, tends to show there is a flare going on. hope this helps a bit.