• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ultrasound after MRI - why?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just having been diagnosed with Crohn's 2 months ago after suffering for over 2 years (after seeing some of the other posts here I consider myself lucky!)

I was diagnosed with Crohn's from a colonoscopy, and due to a large stricture at the joint between my large and small intestine, my doctor could not see any further and asked me to have an MR Enterography. I had this done two weeks ago, and this morning I got a call from my GI's office asking me to pick up a referral sheet to have an ultrasound.

Should I be worried about this? Any ideas why he would ask me to have an ultrasound after I already had an MRI - I thought the MRI was more sensitive? Anyone else had this? Any help much appreciated :)

Not really sure why you would be asked to have an ultrasound after an MRI, but maybe the picture just wasn't clear enough. It could be something as simple as that. try just checking with your doc, i'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the reasoning behind any tests they do.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just having been diagnosed with Crohn's 2 months ago after suffering for over 2 years (after seeing some of the other posts here I consider myself lucky!)

I was diagnosed with Crohn's from a colonoscopy, and due to a large stricture at the joint between my large and small intestine, my doctor could not see any further and asked me to have an MR Enterography. I had this done two weeks ago, and this morning I got a call from my GI's office asking me to pick up a referral sheet to have an ultrasound.

Should I be worried about this? Any ideas why he would ask me to have an ultrasound after I already had an MRI - I thought the MRI was more sensitive? Anyone else had this? Any help much appreciated :)
Usually, it's the other way around. Maybe they aren't sure what they are seeing and an ultrsound might show it better than MRE. Never worry till you know for sure something is wrong and even then, don't worry! It doesn't help a thing. One day at a time!!!:ghug:

Thanks a lot guys! I felt a lot less nervous when I had my doctor's appointment yesterday! Turns out that it was completely unrelated to my Crohn's (actually the good news is that my Crohn's is almost gone!) and was just some small benign cysts. Now I just have one more round of Prednisone, and also starting Imuran, to hopefully shrink my stricture - otherwise it'll be balloon dilation!