• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed but scared

Hi all.
I'm a female of 42 yo. I live in Switzerland. For all life I suffered for what I thinked to be IBS.
I never had any colonoscopy.
My symptom was meteorism, especially at evening, diarrhea/costipation alternatively and pain in abdomen.
I'm lactose intollerant (diagnosed in september 2011). I though all my symptoms came from lactose intollerance and so I eliminated all the food contained lactose. I improved but not entirely. This february I have episodes of diarrhea 1 hour after meal, that lasted for 2-3 weeks. I take probiotics (bioflorin) and symptoms subsides.
My doctor take a calprotectin test that was 170 (50 was normal). I also have blood test and a sonography of abdomen. Blood test was normal, PCR was negative, the sonography showed all normal. So the doc said to retest calprotectin.
I retested with a private laboratory 1 months after the first test and came at 30 ! So I was relieved.
In may, june and july I was great but I have some meteorism but not diarrhea. I diminished the probiotics in the months of july and at ende july I began with a diarrhea after meal and lots of gas and pain in abdomen :eek2:
I retest in a private laboratory calprotectin and was 82 ! I begin to take 3 bioflorin at day and symptoms subsides. I also take diosmectal that was clay for help to compact feces. During this months af august I have a rectoscopy and showes a III grade hemorrhoids. I take a cream for hemorrhoids, and I think this cream can have antiinflammatory inside. I also retest with blood test in august and show all normal, also VES was 1.
This monday I retest for calprotectin and was up to 300 !! :eek2:

Now I'm scared what is doing ?

I don't have any blood in feces but I have mucus. But I have mucus from years.

My levels fluctuate from 170 - 30 - 82 - 300 !!

Do you think it's Crohn's or ulcerative colitis ?
Or it may be something else? But what ??

I don't want to have a colonoscopy because I'm hemetofobic and I cannot be able to drink the preparation.

Please any help it's appreciated.

Hi rosa70. Welcome to the forum. It can be a lot of things. Have you had your sedimentation rate tested? Maybe you can have the Pill Cam. Have you talked to your Doctor about preparation options, maybe a liquid diet for a few days. I am sorry I can't give you any answers.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. With multiple positive fecal calprotectin tests and your symptoms, in my opinion, the next logical step is colonoscopy with biopsy. Anything else wouldn't be acceptable to me if I was in your position.

All my best to you.