• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed crohns?

Hi.. I'm a 25 year old female who for the last 11 years has been suffering with constant stomach ache, differentiating bowel movements, nausea, lower right abdo pain and my weight goes up and down like a yoyo.

It originally started when I was 14, I became extremely unwell overnight, I couldn't keep anything in my system. My weight dropped to 7stone in a matter of weeks. I had extensive blood work every 6 weeks, I had an endoscopy, ultrasounds, I was sent for a barium meal but I threw the solution back up and they couldn't see any of the liquid on my scan. They eventually gave up and discharged me from the paediatric services. I learnt to cope with the pain and discomfort and the embarrassment of my bowel habits. I add that at one point I attended a&e due to the pain and I spent a few nights in hospital, I had keyhole surgery to which they were going to remove my appendix, whilst in surgery they changed their mind as it was normal.

I continued to have constant pain, nausea and general bouts of feeling unwell. I had days where I couldn't move from the toilet hen days where I struggled to even go. Often I would become so tired and lethargic but the Drs again still had no understanding of why.

Then aged 23, the pain in my lower right abdo became so severe I attended a&e and after 5 days of constant pain and being nil by mouth they finally removed my appendix. To which I was later told, again this was normal. I still struggled with my eating, nausea, fatigue, pain and bowel movements.

Now aged 25, I have since been told by the GI I have ibs. This was diagnosed after a discussion and no blood work or further testing. I am now currently undergoing tests for Crohn's disease, due to a what I would presume flare up, I am going to the toilet at least 2 - 3 times a day with urgency. I can eat and within 5 minutes be on the loo. My bm are very mushy and contain mucous and often blood. Or it is just like water.I feel nauseous, tired, I'm in pain, I want to sleep all the time, I don't want to eat due to loss of appetite and also fear or not being able to find a loo in time. I feel so emotional too, I keep crying. I am sleeping for a good 10 hours at night and I need to sleep again after a few hours and I can often take a 3 hour nap. I have got to the point where I just don't know what to do anymore.

Has anyone got any advice or been through similar problems?

I am attending the GP tomorrow after visiting 2 weeks ago and they lost my calprotectin sample. I've attending a&e and the out of hours gp twice since. Once you mention crohns they don't want to know and send me home.

In my opinion, you should visit a GI if possible. Blood samples should be taken as well as fecal calprotectin if possible. Unfortunately, physicians dismiss me just as they are dismissing you, but one should be persistent in finding out what is wrong. Best wishes.