• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed for 3 years, feel like I'm going crazy!

I've been suffering for 3 years with constant diarrhoea, excruciating stomach pains, fatigue and I'm being sick nearly every time I eat - and most of the time, the food isn't even digesting. I've been back and forth to the hospital, being told something different each time. My sister has suffered with severe Crohn's Disease for 16 years, whilst my cousin also has it. Over the past 3 years, my symptoms have gradually gotten worse. I've had cameras which detected ulcers in my bowel only to go back a few months later to have the doctors tell me the ulcers have gone and that it looks like it's IBS. I'm 22 and feel like I'm spending my life constantly frightened something is going to happen to me if I'm not helped soon. My doctor said stool samples come back as positive for inflammation in my bowel and that I don't seem to be absorbing anything due to my bile salts (so much information, sorry) - I just feel a bit like I'm going mad. One minute I'm being told it looks like Crohn's/UC and the next I'm told it's IBS and that there's not much that can help. The worst part in all of it is the sickness - I can't seem to even have a cup of tea without bringing it straight back up. Not only am I suffering physically but I've been put on medication for anxiety as it's messing with me mentally too. Sorry to bombard you with all this information but I just need some advice and to know that no matter how long it takes, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would lean towards some form of IBD based on family history. Is there another doctor you can see? If it is IBD, I am afraid of the situation getting worse for you. Best to you. Please keep us informed.

Scipio

What medications have you been prescribed and how well did each work, or not, to help control your disease?

When the picture is confusing sometimes you can get a better idea of which disease you are dealing with by which medicines help.

my little penguin

Staff member
Things that can mimic crohns
Are bechets
It can cause the disappearing ulcer trick
Might be worth asking a rheumotolgist about

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi CC7 and welcome. I am sorry about your struggles. Please have your GP doctor refer you to another hospital or to a another gastroenterologist for a second opinion. With you result in hand (is is fecal calprotectine?), personal symptom history and family history, a good gastroenterologist should take you very seriously and ask for further testing. Do anything you can to have a second opinion. good luck and wishing you well.