• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed for years

For as long as I can remember i have always have times where i feel sick for no apparent reason. It is only in the last few months where it has got work, had a stool sample and doctor said fecal calprotectin came back high and i definietly have inflammation of the gut, is it normal to be diagnosed for say 3/4 years then for it to get worse to then be diagnosed with Crohn's for example?

Unfortunately it can take quite some time depending on your symptoms etc. My bloods showed inflammation 4 years before we narrowed it down to my gut specifically as I wasn’t having very obvious symptoms until 2016. My Crohn’s is all hiding in my small bowel though so the symptoms were not typical of what most people experience and I’m sure that slowed things down considerably.

Hope this helps!

cmack

Staff member
I would keep trying to get more answers from your doctor and maybe even seek another opinion. The sooner you have a proper diagnosis, the sooner you can focus on feeling well again. Once you get on the right treatment things will improve, things will get better. Good luck, you have my support.

Lynda Lynda

For as long as I can remember i have always have times where i feel sick for no apparent reason. It is only in the last few months where it has got work, had a stool sample and doctor said fecal calprotectin came back high and i definietly have inflammation of the gut, is it normal to be diagnosed for say 3/4 years then for it to get worse to then be diagnosed with Crohn's for example?
Yes.

My docs thought IBS.
Then it was UC.
Now it's Crohn's.
This all happened during a 20 year time span.

Lynda Lynda

Just checking up on you. 🙂
Have you had any more tests ?
Do you feel any better ?
Lynda 🐥