• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed, not sure whether to push for more tests

I know something is up with my digestive system, but what?

I'm finding it impossible to get anyone to take me seriously, possibly because my main symptom is constipation not diarrhoea.

I can just about control the constipation with diet, but it's not returning me to full health. I am now strict about avoiding gluten and baker's yeast because they bung me up - with gluten it could be for a week. I've been biopsied for celiac disease, and that was negative. I have doubts that the test was done correctly (not enough gluten, not enough samples etc), but I couldn't eat the stuff for long enough to get tested again, and in any case I am now gluten free and still having issues.

My blood work is always completely normal, except for nutritional related things, which are usually borderline but borderline is still normal in my doctor's eyes.

I've been through the process of identifying a nutrititional deficiency myself, correcting it and seeing improvements, with iron, B12, magnesium, and zinc. The latest thing to come back borderline was vitamin D. My 25OH D is 26 nmol/L in a range where severe deficiency is 25, so once again borderline. I'm waiting to hear what my doctor says about that.

On the digestive front, my symptoms are actually not too bad.

I get mild proctitis from time to time, usually when the constipation is more severe. The constipation is happening somewhere else though... maybe it's what they call right-sided constipation (I get soreness on the right hand side). Once the poop reaches my rectum, I can poop with no trouble at all. The longer that there is no poop in my rectum, the worse things seem to get. Once I become more regular again, it seems to resolve.

After a gluten challenge a year ago, my bowel started waking me up in the night. That gradually settled once I was back to my gluten free diet. However, in the last couple of nights, I have been woken up at 4 am by my bowel trying to move things along. The first night was moderately painful, which is unusual for me. The second night there was no pain, I was just suddenly wide awake at a very odd time with my digestion being very busy. I didn't poop because I don't poop a lot, but it felt like part of that process.

I also get geographic tongue almost constantly now, and it can burn. Again that's linked to the constipation. Worse gut, worse tongue.

I don't know whether to push my doctor to find out what is going on. On the one hand, my symptoms are not too bad, providing that I stay on top of nutritional deficiencies - that's what gives me symptoms that I struggle to cope with like brain fog and severe cold intolerance. I am also doubtful that they will be able to see anything that they didn't see before (I've had a small bowel MRI and fecal calprotctin tests as well as the upper endoscopy). On the other, it feels like there is a problem that is still progressing.

What would you do?

Have you had a colonoscopy? Those are very useful to diagnosis IBD. If not you may want to request one from your GI just to be sure. However I might add that IBD can be missed on them... But if anything severe is going on down there they will usually find it.

No I haven't. The hospital uses fecal calprotectin as a screening tool for submitting people for colonscopy, and I came back as fine in their range (but I've since seen other ranges where I would not have been fine). I wasn't that keen to have a colonscopy so I was okay with that at the time. I am also not keen to go for that kind of invasive test when it can still miss the diagnosis - and I suspect that if I do have IBD that it is mild/intermittent, so there would be a high probability of it being missed.

Are you unsatisfied with the way your health is now? Do you want to know what is making you feel sick? This is just my opinion, but if you are content then don't push for more answers unless things get alarmingly worse. However, if you are really unhappy with your current health and want to know what's going on, go for it.

This really is a personal decision, and differs from person to person. It isn't based on whether you should or shouldn't push for answers; it's based on if you want to.

I agree with you on the colonoscopy missing Crohns if it is mild because that is essentially what happened to me. If you REALLY want to know I guess the next thing would be is to get is a barium x-ray, CT scan, MRI or pill cam. There are lots of tests and no one can say which one will provide you with a diagnosis.

>> Are you unsatisfied with the way your health is now?

Yes. I suppose I am. It's the brain fog and cold intolerance that really get to me. I find it hard to get things done, tasks that could be done in an hour or so seem to take all day because I can't concentrate. I particularly find it hard to work when I'm having a cold/foggy day, and end up going to bed for a nap to warm up and reset my system. It's like my life goes into slow motion. I think the problem is that my serum iron is in my boots, but my doctor isn't interested because I'm not anaemic.

>> I agree with you on the colonoscopy missing Crohns if it is mild because that is essentially what happened to me.

Brenden, how were you diagnosed in the end, if you don't mind me asking?

After a clean colonoscopy, clean barium x-ray I am currently left with the diagnosis of IBS. However my symptoms strongly point towards IBD. I am going to getting a pill cam which Im hoping will show something.

The value of video capsule endoscopy is that it can identify the early, mild abnormalities of Crohn's disease. Video capsule endoscopy may be particularly useful when there is a strong suspicion of Crohn's disease but the barium X-rays are normal. (Barium X-rays are not as good at identifying early, mild Crohn's disease.) In a prospective blinded evaluation, video capsule endoscopy was demonstrated to be superior in its ability to detect small bowel pathology missed on small bowel radiographic studies and CT exams3.