• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed struggling newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum. I've been reading posts for the last few months but finally mustered up the courage to post my own story, so here goes...

I'm a 21 year old psychology student and I began feeling ill around the end of this past October during midterms, stomach pains, fever, no appetite, etc, I just wrote it off as a regular stomach bug. But when the pain and discomfort didn't go away I knew something was wrong. It took a while for my parents to realize something was wrong, they believed it to be part of my depression/anxiety, maybe a problem with my medication or something else. I knew that I felt completely different and in more physical pain that when I feel depressed, and I had been on my antidepressant medication for 6 months before this. I made an appointment with my PCP and they ran blood tests on top of blood tests, everything came back normal. They gave me some antispasmodics (bentyl) and antacids which made everything a lot worse. My roommate at the time has Crohn's and suggested that I see a GI because our symptoms matched up perfectly. The way that I described how I was feeling to her is exactly the same way she feels when she has a flare up. I finally was able to get an appointment with a GI and had an endoscopy done, which came back showing inflammation in my stomach with the biopsy they took confirming that. At my next GI appt he decided that it must be my gallbladder causing all of these issues, and scheduled me for a HIDA scan, which I just recently had done a few days ago, but that came back completely normal. My GI gave me pantoprazole and had me make a follow up in 6 weeks.

So basically, my symptoms are constant pain and discomfort all throughout my abdomen, feeling as though my stomach is being ripped to shreds/stabbed EVERY time after eating (doesnt matter what I eat, it hurts), a variety of soft stool, constipation, or burning diarrhea, haven't seen blood yet. The constant pain used to be dull but it gradually got worse and it preventing me from sleeping. It is really difficult for me to manage going to college and really just everything else in my daily life has become a struggle. I don't want to eat because I know there will be pain. It is getting to the point where I can no longer deal with the pain and just want to go to the ER, someone help :confused2:

when i read this i actually got chills, we are experiencing the SAME exact thing. i'm 20 years old and also a student. i had the endoscopy and HIDA scan too, that was on the lower side of normal, but normal nonetheless. my endoscopy showed chronic gastritis too, and i'm also on bentyl and although it helps sometimes, it definitely does not solve all my problems. your symptoms are exactly the same as mine, although sometimes i see blood. i'm going for a colonoscopy on saturday.. def not looking forward to it but hopefully there will be some answers.
have you entertained the idea of colonoscopy? from what i understand it's not always conclusive, but it might be helpful for us, considering we're both having GI issues and have ruled out things like gall bladder and stomach ulcers etc.

i hope you feel relieved to know you're not alone, even though this whole situation kind of sucks. hopefully we'll be able to figure things out soon :)

the burning during BM, makes me think of a fissure along with gastritis?
hopefully you dont have IBD....

many believe a bacteria could be the cause of many of the symptoms/flaring.

hopefully you will figure it out soon.