• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Upcoming Surgery & Recovery + My Story

First off, greetings to all! This my first foray into this arena and I'll start off with my life story, short form version and onto my current situation.

Diagnosed in 1973 (grade 10), and have been more or less in remission since 1978 with one serious flare up. Along the way I've developed anal fissure and fistulae, and Ankylosing Spondalitis/osteopeni - all have been managable, and I'm convinced that the 6 or 7 times having to go on predinsone were a contributing factor in my bone troubles.

At any rate this time last year I started to have strange symptoms including heart rate change (palpitations) and the heightened sensation of digestion just beneath the sternum. I ended up with CT scan, MRI and after many months of managing the symptoms (a bit of denial on my part), the test results indicated increased scar tissue that they felt were accumulated over the 39 years I've had Crohn's.

I guess I was relieved and concerned at the same time. The doctors said the palpitations can occur in this scenario, and the cardio and holter monitor results confirmed `PVCs' which are extra beats and very common. What was really encouraging was the possibility of being drug-free post-op is about 60%!

So I'm waiting for the date for laproscopic resection total of 3 1/2 feet of intestine, though once `in there' there may be further undetected areas needing to be removed. I would hope that with the quality of diagnostic imaging these days they couldn't have missed much...

I'm interested in hearing from folks who've had the laproscopic procedure and how they made out, if they had infections, pain levels versus `normal' pain caused by Crohn's etc. I have been blessed never having this type of operation, but I am just heading into uncharted territory and would like to hear from others.

Other random questions - how long before solid food allowed? Any dietary changes post-op (I can eat pretty much anything now)? Is 4-6 weeks accurate assuming no complications, and how was going back to work? Any special meds taken to prevent infection and side effects? Any natural/nutritional suppliments to help with healing? What pain killers prescribed? Medical marijuana?

Lastly, given many Crohn's Disease sufferers like us also have fistulae/fissues, can these be at least explored during this surgery or is this `too far down' ? I'm not sure in terms of surgeons but I think they often have a very specific skill area and the anal/colon area is separate from further up the intestinal tract.

Thanks for listening and hope to hear back from some of you.