• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update 28mths after surgery

Update on my situation and new issue. Had surgery April 2020 to remove abscess and 12 inches of lower intestine. After recovery from surgery was advised to go on biologic type drug. Never been on anything other than pentasa since diagnosis in 1999. 2020 was having sever cramp pains and losing weight so the surgery was completed. Not had a single abdomen pain in last 2 yrs since surgery. Felt fantastic, gained weight and strength. My life was back to normal. As I was feeling great I did not go on any biologics. Past 2 yrs have gone by without a hitch per my Crohns. Well in the last few months I have been experiencing bowel movements more frequently thru the day. Sometimes up to 5 times having to go. Usually an hour or so after a meal. It usually is small solid but if eating something heavy, I can have diarrhea. The urge is sudden and very urgent when having to go. Outside of the urgency factor it really has not bothered me as I feel relieved after going and not had any stomach pains like I had before surgery. Concern over last few months is I am now losing weight. I work out a lot to stay in shape but now I am weaker and losing muscle mass. Sure weight loss is due to food not staying in me. Another factor is the ole Stress issue also. I am under extreme stress lately in my career. Not much I can do about this as I must work to earn a living for my family. I know this is contributing to the issues as it did in the past with Crohns. I do take a lot of supplements that I feel has always helped me. Any folks with similar situation or have any good advice? Thanks and blessings to all of you.

wow.....are you me from the future?

its been...almost exactly a month since my resection.....so they gave you an ileostomy for a while?
that was a nice surprise when i woke up haha, its ok sometimes just wish they were more honest than worried about scaring people...

anyway....some symptom like this just came to me as well, but it was related to an out of nowhere massive hemroid situation that crippled me last month.....and just generally yes familiar sounding def....

i know about the weight watching too.....i seem to weigh myself every time i pee....

i factored in some small meals that i feel cover some serious bases but i seem to miscalculated the fiber a little here.....
the challenge tho, yes, like you say, its when you get busy then end up skipping something.....or cannot get the grocery needed in the chrons versions the day i need them etc....like dairy and such i wont do regular milk period.

i am still trying to figure out about biologics too.....but am stuck behind what i feel is a false tuberculosis diagnosis....and needing to see a couple doctors my insurance wont cover as well.....to help me find better GI than my current team, which, i pretty much completely disregard as anything beyond ignorant robots.....who mean well deep down, but failed to convince me some things....or even discuss really.....

i take alot of supplements as well.......not sure what specific info may help you more tho.....

i am curious what your current doctor says about you avoiding biologics?
its seems like a hard balance at best, going alt..........but on the other hand, there is alot of new research these days so i am partly wondering for one what options now, then to know what options in 5yrs etc i think things could change quite a bit.........

what i dont like tho is i cant really be monitored because i am not doing their treatment......i can make a fuss and get some labs somehow, but im trying to save that i guess as its not much i can do atm anyway..........thats one base for sure tho just getting some markers etc or maybe even a scan but i am certainly not the qualified one, only similar..

Thanks for responding. At times you never know if the GI advice given is directed for your particular issue or just general that they tell everyone in this predicament. Seems like everyone with this burden is experiencing different things. Going to chat w GI office next week. First time in over a year and a half (surgery 2020). I have basically lived the last 2 years as if I didnt have Crohns. Zero pains or even sounds from my gut area. Eating as if I was on vacation. Very blessed as Really no food restriction eating. But my anxiety level has been on alert as I have lost about 20 pounds within last few months. After surgery 2 yrs ago I increased back to my normal weight (195) and gained back muscle mass. Here lately I have lost muscle and strength. Go to the gym and had to drop back on all the pounds I was pushing. Dont like this skinny me at all and dread all the wardrobe shifts. This really got me worried about whats going on with my gut. Have urgent urge to have BM several times throughout the day so obviously I am not keeping nutrition in long enough. On top of that my career stress is at an all time high, ugh. At least not in pain. Doing prelim blood work tomorrow with general dr then see what GI says next week. (Sorry for repeating my situation but it is therapeutic expressing to others in the same boat)