• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update and paediatric appt for non-IBD kid

Andrew has had his 3 monthly blood results - all looking good. Had a few vitamins, etc checked and all are in range apart from vit D which is still 'insufficient'. He is also healing well from his nail resection, his chiropodist is happy too. :ybiggrin:
Tomorrow I go see a private paediatrician with my daughter. Typical - she isn't too bad at the moment :yrolleyes:. She still gets stomach pain every day but at a low level and is able to function. Her joints still play up now and again but are also not too bad. Oh well, just hoping they take me seriously.

crohnsinct

Good luck Sascot! Remember when T was finally referred to the GI she also wasn't too bad and her FC came back at 1134. I think a fair amount of it is they just get used to the pain.

Maya142

Staff member
Tell her not to play it down! My daughter always says she's "fine" even if she's been up till 5am in pain :ybatty:!
Good luck!

Thanks. Crohn'sinct - I worry I am making too much out of it. Her Calprotectin was under 20 then went up to 40 - still not high.
Maya - Andrew was the same, drove me nuts! In hospital after a week in agony he tells the doc he's fine. Kids!

crohnsinct

Well even with a relatively normal FC reading if she is in pain they have to figure out the reason. It isn't normal for a kid to be in pain every day! Go get em mama!:tank:

Sascot,
Good luck! We are taking daughter number two for a GI eval on Monday. I am pretty sure the doctor is going to order scopes. She is going on year two of stomach pains. We though it was lactose intolerance originally. We did a fecal calp and it was pretty low s we took her off dairy and she was better for a while then over the summer the stomach aches came back and behave slowly been more and more frequent. Occurring after eating and it doesn't matter what she eats. Seems like more and more of us here are having second kids with issues. :(

:ymad: Cannot believe what a waste of time that was :ybatty:. The consultant tells me he is "uncomfortable" seeing her privately, he feels it isn't a safe option and there isn't the continuity of care as the NHS. All the tests he would order need done at the NHS sick kids hospital (which my insurance would pay for). Apparently there are only limited procedures done at this hospital and no other private hospitals in Scotland seem to accept under 14 years.
I specifically took the insurance that would cover the NHS kids hospital, but there seems to have been no point! Aaaaaaaahhh

Maya142

Staff member
What a frustrating situation! What on earth do they expect you to do since the NHS hasn't been helpful?!! How ridiculous.

There's not a lot of options. Keep phoning for a cancellation until August which is the first NHS appt I can get! There is one more hospital that has paediatricians privately but the hospital itself doesn't do any tests/ops on under 16's. If she gets worse I will phone but otherwise it's a waiting game

Sascot,
I am so sorry. It is so frustrating. What would happen if she got worse and then went through the emergency room would that expidite testing at all?

Tesscorm

Staff member
I was wondering the same thing?? I can't believe you're getting this runaround! Ridiculous! :ghug:

If she gets worse I will do A&E, it might make a tiny difference. I am only "calmly" waiting because she is okay at the moment. I can't believe how messed up the system is. Not quite sure why I am paying for insurance

Tesscorm

Staff member
That is crazy. But, our system can get messed up with delays and referrals too... It was S's GP who suggested we go to ER (A&E) because it would be quicker than waiting for a referral - she said that's what she would do with her own child. But, unfortunately, even from ER, too often kids are just sent home with little progress :(