• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update - Barium Meal

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know the Barium meal went well today. Took around 2 and a half hours though- last out of the 5/6 people having meals that morning The actual barium wasn't too bad it came in strawberry flavour, but boy is it heavy and viscous. Still I ain't complaining its a stroll in the park compared to a colo.

It took a while to get all the way down and they had a bit of trouble with the X-Ray because I was a bit too tall, they kept on chopping bits off the x-ray.but it was no problem really, just meant a couple of more 'takes'.

The main annoying thing were the insane people who kept on sitting next to me as I waited - either insanley optimistic or insanley gruff. One guy who was waiting for an X-Ray because he had a knee operation that had gone a bit wrong and he had no contracted a chest infection on the ward so he was obviously on a real down and this idiot clown guy kept on nudging him and telling him how they were going to sort him out with a 'new chest' as well as a new knee. As you can imagine after a rip roaring joke like that the guy was rolling around laughing. Especially at 9 o clock on a cold November morning. Its what you really need isn't it? Then there was an old timer who didn't what time of day or where he was, one woman who enjoyed talking to herself. It was all fun and games. The best of them all was someone who had turned up for a barium meal and then confessed to the nurse
'Oh by the way, I had some cornflakes and a cup of tea this morning!'
'Well we can't do the meal then'
'Oh...ok.'
FAIL

The nurses were all legendary though and the Radiographer was from my hometown and recognized me from College so at least everytime I was up on the machine we'd have a chat. Then after two and half hours a very nice woman - Dr. Camillia Parker-Bowles-Smythe-Smythe-Fitzwilliam-Smythe-Fox Hunting-Smyth prodded me with a wooden spoon(did any of you guys have that?) whilst she did the final scans. She was really nice and very posh - a walking sterotype of someone who is 568th in line for the throne sort of thing.

Anyway I just thought I'd let you know that the X-Rays didn't turn me into a superhero or send me mental

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:ylol2: Sorry, not to laugh but the Dr. Camillia Parker-Bowles-Smythe-Smythe-Fitzwilliam-Smythe-Fox Hunting-Smyth prodded me with a wooden spoon(did any of you guys have that?) ... was too funny. Yes I had to have that done too, apparently it is to move the barium around that can pocket or not move where it should. I am lucky as far as my tests, I am usually the first one and since I had almost 2ft of intestine taken out, they get excited and ask if had anything taken out cause it is going way too fast :lol:. Some advice if you havent started but drink alot of water or hot tea to get the barium out ok? Glad you made it in one piece!

Boy that lady sure does get around! She sounds like the same one that came after me with the wooden spoon. Scared the crap out of me! Reminded me of my mom coming after me with a wooden spoon. Only she didn't prod my stomach. Oh my poor backside! And I was an angel growing up. LOL

Hope things come back good for you.

Jettalady - yeah I've been drinking tea and water all day - on my 6th cup! That's just trying to stay awake after getting up early. Another lady was the same as you she had had a resection and was out of there in turbo time!

Imisspopcorn - that post is awfully ominous - its as if a dragon is going to leap from my arsehole and wreak destruction - its only albino droppings am I right?

Shaz - For you, anything.

Pirate - I think Ms Camillia Parker-Bowles-Smythe-Smythe-Fitzwilliam-Smythe-Fox Hunting-Smyth is the only doctor in the world who does barium tests. But she has a private jet filled with wooden spoons ready to poke folk on both sides of the pond. I must say she did have a wonderful accent - very alluring- then I had to remind myself that there's nothing erotic about someone poking barium around your gut.More's the pity really.

Your mother sounds like an inspiring matriarch, there's nowt wrong with a good smack now and then. Although it looks like it didn't work given your username...
'Who'da thought I smacked him so many times but he still ended up a Pirate?'

Cheers for the good will guys

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
imisspopcorn said:
You survived you first barium meal....Now you'll have fun watching it exit....

At the ending of my barium follow throughs, I would start singing in my head "Casper the friendly ghost"...being white and all :tongue:

My mom says that she had to give me a butt warming first thing in the morning just to get ahead of me. I really was quite the little trouble maker. My oldest brother was always looking for our parents. My next oldest looked part of the time and I never looked. Full speed ahead. When I was about 3 my mom woke up about 4 in the morning and caught me on a chair trying to fry eggs on the stove.

As far as the Pirate name, I have an earring and my youngest brother said there is only 2 kinds of men that wear earrings and he hoped I had a boat. Well I have a canoe so Pirate fits. I guess that makes my wife a Pirate's wench.

I never got the wooden spoon... think I got a hand in an enormous lead-lined glove. How I love being prodded in the sensitive "crohns-zone"

Did get the insane clown, though. Could be the same guy covering the entire West Yorkshire area... maybe he's part of a new government initiative

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Wooden spoons, where used cause I had the top bunk on the bed and my mother couldnt reach me if she didnt use one. Trust me her hands are like the hulks, you dont wanna be behind those suckers...wooden spoon was lesser of the two evils lol. Sorry to hijack.