• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update on the girls and resetting for a new, and much better, year

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
So, Jae is at Camp Oasis where last year she started with a year of health issues that went from being sent home early from Camp to four hospitalizations from September through April. I've decided to hit the reset button and start off much better this year. So far, things are looking good... Last week Jae went to Camp Possible, for kids with Epilepsy. She got to stay the whole week. On Sunday, I picked her up from that camp in Iowa and we brought her to Wisconsin to Camp Oasis. She has really been looking forward to this one. So far, no calls... Keep praying with me that she doesn't have seizures or anything else that could sabotage her time there. She has had possibly one seizure this summer, but since they happen at night, we aren't sure. GI-wise, she seems to be doing fairly well. Other than having no appetite, she seems to be mostly dealing with IBS symptoms - cramps that come and go. Once Jae has recovered from Camp, we'll start homeschooling. She still hates the idea of school and has no interest in participating. I'm hoping she comes around. She still struggles with depression.

Elli is now 12. She will be going into 7th grade. This summer we discovered that she is allergic to corn and that she has asthma. Cutting corn from her diet has helped her GI symptoms tremendously. She hasn't complained of any problems GI-wise since adding that restriction. Her asthma is controlled well with daily meds and inhalers. I'm hoping this means that when school starts, she won't be missing so much school due to sickness.

So, I have hope for both girls that healing will continue to happen and that they can start new. I declare a RESET. Old things are gone, all things are new and will be good with no missed school, full of hope, healing and growth!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Very nice update to read! :D I'm glad both are doing well and hope it continues!!!

I'm glad for both but Jae has had a tough time and truly deserves some relief and some tiime of just feeling good!! :ghug:

So glad for the new update.
Not corn! I know people think dairy is horrible to give up but corn for us was much worse.
I pray the rest of the summer goes well.

Thanks for the update. Glad that Camp Possible went well, and I hope that Camp Oasis goes just as well! Really hope that Jae gets some relief from her remaining GI symptoms and depression in the year to come.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks so much for the update Carol. :)

Hoping with all my heart that things continue to head into positive territory for both your girls. :heart:

Always happy to hear good updates!
Hoping Jae has a good time at camp oasis and they both have a really good year.
Have you decided what homeschooling program you are going to use? We use time4learning as our core curriculum and then add writing and other fun stuff. My high schooler is not crazy about the history so we are going to try a more charlotte mason approach to history this year using books.
Wishing You guys a great year!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Always happy to hear good updates!
Hoping Jae has a good time at camp oasis and they both have a really good year.
Have you decided what homeschooling program you are going to use? We use time4learning as our core curriculum and then add writing and other fun stuff. My high schooler is not crazy about the history so we are going to try a more charlotte mason approach to history this year using books.
Wishing You guys a great year!
We are going to use time4learning for English. For history we are going low-keyed with A History of the U.S. books (suggested in Sonlight and I got them used) with a Charlotte Mason approach. I found a book that has multiple choice questions covering the chapters. I'm looking for some books to do science in the same way with ecology, marine biology, astronomy, etc. She and my husband who is undergoing an ankle replacement soon, will do the reading and discussion together. Life of Fred math has worked well for her in the past. When she finishes Algebra 2, I will have her use Khan Academy to study for ACT. I think her extra learning will be technology and figuring out how to set up a business online. I wanted her to do PE and choir with our local private school she went to last year, but transportation and cost are proving prohibitive. What grade will your high schooler be?

My high schooler will be in tenth grade. We use CTC math for the math becuase my daughter wasn't crazy about the math on time4learning.
For science I would reccomend either the quark chronicles which we might try this year or elemental science the sassafras twins. They are both Charlotte Mason based. We used the elemental program. I liked it a lot but found it to be a lot of reading for me.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
My high schooler will be in tenth grade. We use CTC math for the math becuase my daughter wasn't crazy about the math on time4learning.
For science I would reccomend either the quark chronicles which we might try this year or elemental science the sassafras twins. They are both Charlotte Mason based. We used the elemental program. I liked it a lot but found it to be a lot of reading for me.
I'm not sure what ctc math is, and I haven't heard of the other two recommendations for science. I will check them out. She has had physical science and biology already.