• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update on Violet

Helloooo all! :hug:

I haven't read anything here in ages so I'm clueless as to how all are doing.
I shall do so after I post.

Old Violet continues SYMPTOM FREE after six months on pred.
Some will recall her invalid status of last winter/spring.
Within six hours of starting pred in April she was dramatically better. SIX HOURS.
She started at 30mg day in April and is now on 15mg/5mg alternating days and is doing as well on this dose as she was on the higher doses. I am still titrating/dropping and the goal is to eventually maintain on 5mg day.
We tried to go to 15/0. On the third "0" day she was a dishrag again.
She stabilized within 3hr of giving 5mg of pred. She needs a daily boost.

This goes to my theory that hypocortisolism was an underlying factor all along.
As does the fact that she has experienced no adverse effects on pred; rather, it corrected all her issues which were too numerous to list here.

She recently had her homecoming dance (photos on my profile page :) ), misses no school, is in all AP classes and has 100 avgs in all of them except English (86%).

Her response to pred is ATYPICAL and not to be taken by newbies as likely extrapolative; she has a borderline hypocortisolism in play here and is why she reacted so well to pred.

Wow, that is fantastic news! :yoshijumpjoy:
I have been wondering how Violet has been over the last couple of months. That truly is wonderful that she is feeling so well and is able to carry on life as normal. Something for us all to aspire towards! :)

So happy to hear from you! We have all been wondering how Violet has been doing. I am glad to hear she is doing so well!

Thanks guys!
I was getting so sad reading some of the posts, kids so underweight, underdeveloped etc and it was triggering my PTSD from when V was dying and starving...I had to stop coming here. :(

After months of going crazy trying to diagnose V and finally using pred of all things and getting immediate results, it was a weird emotional time.
:ghug:

No need for apologies or explain...I have been wondering how you both were and am happy to hear the answer!!!
Glad to see you back, and SO happy to hear the good news is continuing!! :)

crohnsinct

I just knew in my heart of hearts all was well with Violet! So glad to see that my intuition was right. I am over the moon that you are back even if for a short while or if it means you will be in and out. We have missed your humor and awesome advice and wisdom.

Welcome back and soooo glad Violet is doing so well on all fronts!

Tesscorm

Staff member
What a nice surprise and what great news!!!

Fantastic to hear that Violet is doing so well!!! And love her picture - gorgeous as ever ;)

And, so great to see you back as well!! As Crohnsinct said, your humour, knowledge and advice was missed! :ghug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Squeal!!!...

So fab to see you! :mademyday:

And so wonderful to see V looking so well and gorgeous!

I hope things are settling down for you hun...:hug:...and I hope all continues to go wonderfully for V, bless her...:heart:

Dusty. xxx

Thanks kids. From Oct-April when she was couchbound I was so focused on getting a solution, and then the Humira nightmare was an obsession, I didn't "crash" until she was stable. It was like, once she was well, (and it happened so suddenly) reading the sad stuff "hit" me more; since her initial presentation was with anorexia progressing to starvation some posts just "took me back" there. (shudder).
So if I do pop "in and out" (thanks crohnsinct) that's why. :ghug:

Dusty, I think she is borderline Addison's, The Saint NOW agrees. Though I (I, not he) requested a.m. cortisol on three separate occasions, and ACTH twice, and ACTH stim once (latter two normal, but cortisol always low) the values were not low enough to class her as such.
No other explanation though for her response to pred.
This begs the question, is her hypocortisolism a result of adrenal fatigue secondary to the constant stress of inflammatory process, or does it exist as a separate disease entity?

I am so glad to hear from you and even happier to hear how well V and you are doing. Mentally it can be very exhausting supporting people with such a disease making lives miserable. I know how your feeling I started a support group on FB for parents of kids with a J-pouch and many, many of them are just getting there heads wrapped around the idea of living life better without the colon. It can be tiring retelling our story and talking these parents through the different steps of the operation. I feel the need to support them for I was supported so well with all of you. I think I also am due for a much needed break from diet discussions and IBD in general.

Thanks for the update and hugs to you for all the support. ;)

crohnsinct

Oops! V and J have only been back one day and we are hijacking their thread to talk about such nonsense...sorry.:yfrown::yfrown:

Whose buying? Did you not know I live in Metro Detroit Area? No one has any money around here. I short sold my house and just bought a new place. I have zero-zip-swat-nuttin honey. An I owe so many people money, time, and thank you cards.

I am going to where us Michiganians call Up-north this weekend. I will not have my kids or a husband for 2 whole days. I will have some wine and plan on sleeping and reading when I am not hanging with my friend, her sister and mom.

I dream about getting away to this awesome trip but mine goes to Australia. If I had to chose, Chicago. There is so many more things to do and get into trouble. Maybe once some bills are paid. I don't work either and this is my second weekend away in a short time and my DH would not be happy bc he hasn't taken any time. I consider him lucky having the luxury of work and having adult conversations. He doesn't see it this way. He doesn't want to run the show either. Maybe I can revisit the idea around the Summer 2014 (I don't even have a calendar that large)

Tesscorm

Staff member
LMAO... you're right Crohnsinct...! Sorry J, things have most definitely gone downhill since Crohnsinct came out of her shell! :lol:

Tesscorm

Staff member
:rof: They may be 'pruning their magnolias'... but... hmmm... ya sure sounded pretty certain that that pole would hold you up while dancing! :lol:

So happy to hear from you Julie!!! I too had a good feeling that Violet was doing well. I'm super glad that I was right. Got to get my self to a screen larger than my phone so I can properly see your photos. Welcome back!

So glad to hear that V is doing well! That is great news! Totally understand about revisiting old memories when you'd rather "let that dog lie" as we say in Bama! I have days where it's hard to read things too for reminding myself there's always something waiting, lurking and taking my focus from the good times!

Oh, and Crohnsinct, I just happen to know a few tattoo artists!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey crohnsinct...:kissgrits:...I am sooooo innocent I will blushing all blessed week at posting that smiley! :redface::redface::redface: I hope you're happy now!!!

Ah now J that is the question, is it primary or is it secondary?? Which way are you hedging your bets?

Dusty. xxx

Hi - Thanks for the update. This makes sense to me since she had automic issues and was on florinef already (another adrenal hormone). I wonder why you are tapering with different amounts every other day? (I forget how long pred stays in your system) We tapered with consistent amounts each day.
I hope she continues to feel great!

RE: all the raunch above, I have several awful tattoos, all gotten while totally sober. :yrolleyes:
Fantasy Fest in Key West is the week of Halloween. That's where I'd go. It's like Mardi Gras only better. I saw a COP (real, not in costume) drinking from a plastic cup of BEER there one year! :rof:

WHAT smiley is blush-inducing, Dusty? There is a "dirty" smiley now?!? Where??

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I reckon you only came back here to get ya thrills J. :shifty: There ain't no down and dirty smiley's here, I was just professing my innocence ...
...at having to post...:kissgrits:

Dusty. :ycool:

crohnsinct

Yeah but we got dancing poo while you were gone J oh and recently a smiley kicking another smiley in the privates!

Whoa! J, Key West Halloween week? You are brave! It's crazy down there all the time, but Halloween is the Big Daddy! Not surprised about the cop!

Oh yeah sure cuz Dusty and Farmwife and their stupid Magnolia's (and I don't mean cupcakes) are sooo innocent!
J the dancing poo I never voted for. I thought we were more dignified than that.:duh:

crohnsinct :kissgrits:, I as pure as the driven snow before the cows get to it.:rolleyes:
Dusty on the other hand......:shifty:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hershey Kiss?!?!?! More like a Kiss My Arse! I mean seriously, who would eat something that looks like a pile of shit?!

Dusty. :ybriggrin:

DustyKat,:eek:

Watch it Aussie!!! :ymad:
We've been through this!:ybatty:
Don't mess with American food.
I told you already, how do you think our civil war started!!!!!!

:tongue: