• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Updated:How turmeric could help manage Crohn's disease and colitis

Updated with a new information:

Turmeric, an Indian spice that has been used for centuries for its health benefits might help with Crohn's disease treatment, reports Kathy Blanchard from EmaxHealth.com based on several studies, referenced below. The active ingredient in the spice that is also known as "holy powder" is cucrumin from which the health benefits are derived.

Improved gut health

Early studies show curcumin in turmeric might directly provide anti-inflammatory benefits to the gut for treating colitis and Crohn's disease. A problem with understanding how it works, what dose is most effective and other details is that more human studies are needed.

Turmeric is generally considered safe but could interact with blood thinning medication and should never be taken in high doses and should not be used if you have gallstones. Curcumin might also interfere with chemotherapy given for breast cancer.

A pilot study conducted in 2005 showed participants in the investigation taking turmeric capsules had fewer symptoms including improved stool formation, decreased muscle soreness after exercise, less abdominal pain and cramping and fewer bowel movements. Lab testing also showed decreased inflammation related to several blood biomarkers.

Mood elevation

Dealing with the ups and downs, remissions and exacerbations, medication side effects, frequent doctor visits, hospitalizations and for some surgery can be difficult for those with Crohn's disease.

Turmeric can help keep boost mood, making it a great spice to at least consider using for cooking. To get the benefits you should add pepper. When taking capsules, buy supplements with piperine or black pepper extract which is the active ingredient that helps curcumin absorption. Studies show the spice component is poorly absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream, but pepper can enhance that.

The best natural remedy for depression is exercise, but it's possible turmeric could help break a vicious cycle that can occur from lack of motivation for activity as well as preventing depression.

Better nutrition

Turmeric contains iron, vitamin B6, manganese and potassium. If your nutrition needs a boost, taking turmeric capsules with pepper or pepper extract could provide you with essential vitamins and minerals especially during times when you find it difficult to eat.

Resources:

Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
An Overview of Curcumin in Neurological Disorders
March-April, 2010

Alternative Medicine Review
Curcumin for inflammatory bowel disease: a review of human studies.
June, 2011

Updated 5/17/2014

Turmeric is a very common spice in india and is used in almost every dish. its one of the main spices. I also think its one of the key reasons for my remission.

Its so fascinating the study says using turmeric along with pepper cuz I remember as a kid when we used to have a goats in our house in the country side. Once a doe was giving birth to a kid and was in terrible pain. My grandmother very quickly prepared a thick curry like paste with turmeric powder, ghee ( purified butter), and lot of pepper...then she applied half of it externally on the doe's inflammed area and half of it was then mixed in the fodder and forced down her throat. I was standing clueless then and looked puzzled.:lol: But now I know my grandmother knew more about turmeric and its properties than I do:tongue: . but not surprised really cuz turmeric is the first thing applied externally on wounds when we get wounded and also when someone goes through any physical trauma, a glass of milk with tumeric is given to give relief. Its an age old practice.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I had read quite a bit about Turmeric on the forum but never acted on any form of supplementation for my son. After our old GI retired our first visit to his replacement resulted in him recommending we commence a Turmeric supplement. What a surprise that was! :lol: