• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Upper GI Scope

So I have to have an upper GI scope. I've never had one before, so I've opted for a good whack of sedatives.

What should I expect? Better than or worse than a colonoscopy (both with and without decent sedation)?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Good luck Creepy. I've never had it done, only watched it being done....Must be better because you don't have the prep. If you are zonked out, you probably will only notice a sore thraot when you wake up.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have been awake the first time but that was from nose to intestines.. scary, my second to check out my stomach area, I was put out 3 needles and I am assuming one it the forget drug. Had no problems prior or after. It was discovered I had a Hiatal Hernia.

Creepy, what are they looking for?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've had a few done. I was put out for each one. Never had any problems and never even had a sore throat. If you've got a good doc, they will take care of you.

Edit: Better than a colonoscopy in my opinion as far as pain goes.

Doesn't sound too bad.

I'm still getting pretty bad reflux, despite being off pred for a good 6 months. They're checking to see if there is Crohn's, steroid damage or bacteria (I assume h.pylori) in there.

Stomach only (with some biopsies as well).

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Creepy that is what happened to me, too many times on pred in the past and got DX with a Hiatus Hernia.. smaller meals and avoid acids and Nexium has helped and there is an exercise too. Let us know how it turns out ok?

Jettalady said:
Hi Creepy that is what happened to me, too many times on pred in the past and got DX with a Hiatus Hernia.. smaller meals and avoid acids and Nexium has helped and there is an exercise too. Let us know how it turns out ok?
Will do. I'm still waiting for the appointment.

As long as I keep taking Omeprazole, I'm fine. It would be nice to get off it though. It's the only med I take daily since the remicade started working.

i just had this on friday, followed by a colonoscopy. i was fully awake and once they get over your gag reflex muscle its fine. much easier than colonoscopy. this one was a breeze compared to them

Ooo I couldn't imagine being awake either! They made me gurgle with some mouth wash that numbs your throat before hand incase I woke up! I told them they better knock me out good cause I definitely didn't want to wake up for it!
Mine was really easy, they made me eat before they would let me go, I don't remember much of it, my husband had to tell me what I ate later :) No sore throat afterwards or anything! And the prep was definitely better than the colonoscopy!!
Good luck!

Well, the appointment is next week. I'm supposed to stop taking Omeprazole two weeks before, but I can only just manage a day till it gets unbearable. Anybody know if it's likely to affect the results?

I had one when I was first diagnosed. Mind you, they put me out completely, but I don't remember any discomfort afterward. But good luck, Creepy. Hope things go well for you.

All went well. Don't remember much. Throat is pretty sore. Still a bit groggy from the sedative.

Results: I have a hiatus hernia (which I was expecting) and grade a oesophagitis. Means I have to stay on omeprazole, but I can live with that :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Creepy, I got dx last year with a hiatus hernia too. I am on nexium but I am a believer that a HH is caused from being on Prednsione. I eat more smaller meals a day and stay away from spicy foods and bulky foods. I have kept mind under control. For now I am on Entocort so I stay on the Nexium. When I am off pred I take a break from the Nexium it has side effects too. Also high bacteria causes the HH to act up to, so the probiotics have helped mine 10 fold. Sorry you are having yet another problem due to Crohns and meds.:voodoo:

Jettalady said:
Hey Creepy, I got dx last year with a hiatus hernia too. I am on nexium but I am a believer that a HH is caused from being on Prednsione. I eat more smaller meals a day and stay away from spicy foods and bulky foods. I have kept mind under control. For now I am on Entocort so I stay on the Nexium. When I am off pred I take a break from the Nexium it has side effects too. Also high bacteria causes the HH to act up to, so the probiotics have helped mine 10 fold. Sorry you are having yet another problem due to Crohns and meds.:voodoo:
I was taking pred when I first started to get symptoms several years ago. I just assumed it was a side-affect. Was never off them long enough to see until recently.

More but smaller meals I can cope with. Not so sure about staying away from spicy though. Not even Crohn's has stopped my love of curry ;)

Apparently when I had it done, I fell asleep and snored against the scope! lol I think with the sedatives you'd be fine! I remember them spraying numbing stuff in the back of my throat which felt weird, but apart from that no probs.

My dad has had one done without any sedatives so he could drive home after and he didn't find it too bad. :)

Misty-Eyed said:
Apparently when I had it done, I fell asleep and snored against the scope! lol I think with the sedatives you'd be fine! I remember them spraying numbing stuff in the back of my throat which felt weird, but apart from that no probs.

My dad has had one done without any sedatives so he could drive home after and he didn't find it too bad. :)
The only reason I ever go in for these things is for the drugs ;)
Seems to have taken me 2 days to get over them though.

imisspopcorn said:
Good job Creepy.....Glad you made it through. Sorry about the hernia.
Thanks. I'm not bothered by the hernia. Pretty minor in the grand scheme :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
^ No kidding about the drugs....I come feeling like I had a relaxing day at the spa....Minus the gas;)

That's the right attitude.

Haha the last time I had a colonoscopy I was dreading it because I'd had bad experiences in the past, but no joke I was actually loving it because the sedation made me feel so good. Loving it so much that I was actually upset when they wheeled me out after 10 minutes from finding strictures that were too narrowed. I wanted my full 45 minutes damnit! lol

Well...at least you know the scoop now Creepy. Glad you got through the scope ok. Do you remember any of the scope at all? I want my daughter to have one of these and of course...she is too nervous to agree.

Peaches said:
Well...at least you know the scoop now Creepy. Glad you got through the scope ok. Do you remember any of the scope at all? I want my daughter to have one of these and of course...she is too nervous to agree.
I vaguely remember the start and the end. Not even a tenth as bad as a colonoscopy.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hey creepy,
I had the double scope last Friday. Up the butt and down the throat. Different equipment or so I was told.

No issues at all with the upper. And the prep is easy...just fast.

Glad yours went well. I get my full results on Wed.

fenway1971 said:
Hey creepy,
I had the double scope last Friday. Up the butt and down the throat. Different equipment or so I was told.

No issues at all with the upper. And the prep is easy...just fast.

Glad yours went well. I get my full results on Wed.
Did they meet half way? ;)

I think I'd request separate days still. I can imagine feeling quite rough after both!