• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

URGENT - Remicade in France?

I just stumbled across this forum and immediately made an account and posted as soon as I could. I'm up crap creek without a paddle and I'm hoping someone will help me out or point me in the right direction.

Extremely long story short: I've taken Remicade infusions for my severe Ulcerative Colitis every 7-8 weeks for the past 3 years. Right now, I'm in France (originally from USA, US citizen) and as of writing this I'm on week 13. I've gone 13 weeks since my last infusion and, although I'm surprisingly well, I'm in an urgent need of getting my medicine. I've visited a hospital and seen a gastroenterologist, however I had to talk through a translator, and from what the translator told me it sounded like they can give me Remicade with no problem, but I'd have to pay thousands of euros completely out of pocket. I'm in no position to pay anything over 300 euros without a payment plan, so paying thousands of euros is completely out of the question. I don't know what to do or where to go or who to talk to in France about my situation.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions about getting my Remicade infusions in France. as I'm able to return to the US as an absolute last resort, but I'm hoping that there's more options other than paying thousands of euros and catching a long sad flight back home to America. I don't have an international health insurance, nor am I an European citizen or French citizen.

Any tips or suggestions are well appreciated.

my little penguin

Staff member
Do you have health insurance in France from yoir French employer ?
Typically you need insurance to cover drugs especially if your a US citizen abroad

Do you have health insurance in France from yoir French employer ?
Typically you need insurance to cover drugs especially if your a US citizen abroad
No, sadly I don't have a french health insurance. I do have health insurance in America, however it doesn't work internationally. I don't work in France, however I was hoping to study here but currently I don't have a student visa.

gotta get a cheap flights back to the US for an infusion every 8 weeks. it sounds way too expensive to do it over there. your health is way too important and by missing doses you can become resistant to it.

Scipio

Can you get Remsima any cheaper in France? Remsima is the generic (i.e. "biosimilar") version of Remicade. I believe it is available in many European counties and may be significantly cheaper.