• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Urinary Tract Infections

I was wondering if anyone else has frequent UTI's while on Crohn's medications. My doctors seem to be perplexed by my frequent UTI's, and I just keep taking antibiotics to treat them. I've had a urethra scope (very painful) but they say nothing is wrong. It's very worrisome for me. I drink tons of water and starting taking D-Mannose, a supplement that is supposed to support the urinary tract. And sometimes I test negative for the infections, but I still have the burning associated with a UTI. My GI just shrugged and said it was probably the Crohn's. I'm currently in and out of a flare. I was on Humira for a year, and it just stopped working. I'm now on Remicade and praying it will put me in remission. Does anyone else have this problem?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I have had recurrent UTIs since college (IBD didn't come into my life until just before I turned 30, but I have had a "sensitive stomach" all my life so who knows). I don't know if there's a connection or not, but I really feel for you as UTIs are miserable. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a connection.

I will say that I tried D-Mannose and it made my digestive symptoms WAY worse. Much more nausea, abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhea, etc. As soon as I stopped taking D-Mannose, my gut symptoms got better and went back to my version of "normal." So be careful about taking that stuff. I now only take cranberry supplements and generic claritin for my urinary symptoms (claritin and other allergy meds can help with urgency and other bladder symptoms - I don't remember the reason why, but it really does help me).

Thanks for the information! Maybe I'll rethink the D-Manno see. And I'll try the Claritin. I never knew that it could help. Thanks again!