• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Use of Ritalin and relapse?

PsychoJane

Hello,

I am trying to find some others that are under the impression that Ritalin might be a contributing factor to their Crohn's relapses? I can't assume that Ritalin as directly induced my relapses but it all seems correlated... (*ok I use ritalin on a regular basis when I am having intense exams sessions and papers to write cause I need it the most at these times, I try to not take a lot the rest of the time. I am well aware that it's also the stressful university rushes that might be contributing, but I had the same happening during the summer while I wasn't too stress nor too overload with works... So I can't help it, my fingers want to point finger to it... Especially considering I had not flared in 10 years and a month after I started taking those... I relapsed...

It's hard to find people that have both Crohn and that are ADD elsewhere than on forums like these. Therefore, if you have experienced something similar, Id like to read your stories... Sometimes I feel like there is more than just this and that... Just like they pointed out that Accutane can lead to CD, that cigarettes cause relapse in CD but that nicotines influence positively UC, etc. I'm not confident enough to stand and pretend with certainty that my ritalin use is linked, it might be a coincidence but I think it worth asking.

Thx

I have heard that Ritalin is a very dangerous drug, around my place it is not sold anywhere and our country has banned it. For some reason I do not believe these types of drugs go well with CD at all. I have tested quite a few anti depressants and anxiety pills which have not had a good influence on my Chrohn's.

Ritalin is has also got a huge number of side effects. For stressful periods such as exams and stuff I would go with natural remedies.

Regular Joe

I take adderall for ADD. I haven't noticed any correlation with flares. But I did notice that cigarettes can sometimes trigger a flare. It's happened with me more than once. I dont even smoke but one or two cigs a year. But my last two flares, I can trace to shortly after I smoked a single cig.

Same as you and Mr. Ziggy. adderall really messes up my whole entire digestive tract and general well being :( ADD drugs are just not good for the body in my experience, but it's tough. I know how you feel about stressful times at school, it's really hard to find a balance. If you have days when you can be alright to not take it, I recommend it.

I used to take dextroamphetamine which is very similar to Ritalin and I am almost convinced that is what caused my crohn's. Towards the end of me taking it ( I got very thin) was when I got diagnosed with crohn's and finally went off it. I have taken it once since then and it made my symptoms flare up so bad.

PsychoJane

I'm glad to see I'm not crazy feeling that ritalin has influenced my crohn. I've asked everyone before taking it, gi, gp, pharmacists, no one ever mentioned a minor risk linked to the use of it and IBD...
I'll try to investigate further on the subject. I browsed a lot of medical publications and never manage to put a finger on anything related to that. (I guess big pharma corp don't have that much budget allowed to make research on the side effects of ADDmeds on crohn's patient... not a good enough market I guess ><.). I guess I just have to drop out geology and go in medschool now. :)

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
I thought you might find this paper interesting:
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0033822&representation=PDF

- This paper looks at methamphetamine but I thought this paper was interesting in that Methamphetamine and Ritalin both act on the dopamine system.

- This paper shows methamphetamine increases pro- inflammatory molecules in immune cells (These immune cells can respond to dopamine - they have dopamine receptors).
---- It is especially pro-inflammatory when combined with LPS (a highly immunogenic component of certain bacteria found in the GI tract - ie E. coli)
I thought it was interesting so I thought I would share....
J

I thought you might find this paper interesting:
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0033822&representation=PDF

- This paper looks at methamphetamine but I thought this paper was interesting in that Methamphetamine and Ritalin both act on the dopamine system.

- This paper shows methamphetamine increases pro- inflammatory molecules in immune cells (These immune cells can respond to dopamine - they have dopamine receptors).
---- It is especially pro-inflammatory when combined with LPS (a highly immunogenic component of certain bacteria found in the GI tract - ie E. coli)
I thought it was interesting so I thought I would share....
J
Hi there...Judith, as I read this, it seems to indicate that taking a methamphetamine would likely counteract a biological like Humira due to the increase of tnf molecules. IS this correct? I found this thread because I am struggling with ADD, but I am afraid that drugs could make things worse.

Thanks.

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Adam1971,
Unfortunately, yes, you make an interesting point. Therapies such as Humira, Simponi, Cimzia, and Remicade act by reducing the pro-inflammatory molecule, TNF - alpha, concentration and/or activity.

The paper by Liu et al. 2012 shows that methamphetamine in combination with LPS (found in the cell wall of many bacteria naturally present in the GI tract) can increase TNF - alpha significantly over LPS treatment alone.

Taken together, one can infer that the ADD treatments using methamphetamine (Desoxyn) and mixed amphetamine (Adderall) stimulants may negate the TNF - reducing effects of biologics such as Humira, Remicade, etc.

:( Sorry

I really believe adderall has played a huge role in a flare up I had last year. I have read that it can cause bloody stool for folks that don't even have Crohn's. I found that it would decrease my desire to eat, and that coupled with malabsorbtion, I definately developed issues due to this combination. I am currently taking strattera, which has a side effect of constipation which in my case has been helpful with all the d I have usually. You might look at strattera with your doctor. It's not a stimulant so it has a lot less issues for some.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. My son's UC has been controlled on 6MP for 14 years. He recently has had a flare up. He started bleeding again in Nov/Dec 2013 and coincidentally started taking Adderall a few weeks that. Is there a paper for a scientific study that discusses what was mentioned below?

I would very much appreciate help with this information. My son was scheduled for surgery before Remicade kicked in and started to work 2 days before the surgery.

Many thanks,
Wordstat

QUOTE=Judith;516361]Adam1971,
Unfortunately, yes, you make an interesting point. Therapies such as Humira, Simponi, Cimzia, and Remicade act by reducing the pro-inflammatory molecule, TNF - alpha, concentration and/or activity.

The paper by Liu et al. 2012 shows that methamphetamine in combination with LPS (found in the cell wall of many bacteria naturally present in the GI tract) can increase TNF - alpha significantly over LPS treatment alone.

Taken together, one can infer that the ADD treatments using methamphetamine (Desoxyn) and mixed amphetamine (Adderall) stimulants may negate the TNF - reducing effects of biologics such as Humira, Remicade, etc.

Im 43, took ritalyn from 13-25 yrs low dose for AD not HD.

Crohns at 37 after taking chantix for 3 mo. Looking back, I probably had IBS prior but was undiagnosed. After chantix it was full on Crohn's.

Humira, remicade both failed for me after a short time currently on lialda and 25-30 prednisone.

I started taking ritalyn 10-20mg time release 3 months ago. Fatigue and having to stop for restroom breaks was killing my concentration and work performance.

Ive seen no negative effects from ritalyn. At 20mg time release I seem to have a more stable digestive system for the past month.

Everyone is different, I was expecting bad reactions due to ritalyn being a stimulant. Not the case for me.