• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vaccine - 2nd dose scheduling

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi all,

I think this will possibly be of interest more to the Canadian members as our second doses of vaccines are being stretched out to 16 weeks, rather than the 3-4 weeks recommended by the vaccine manufacturers (not sure if this is being done in the U.S. as well).

CCFC has a downloadable letter available on its site which can be used to request an earlier second dose if you are on immunotherapy. My son's doctor has signed the letter requesting that he receive his second dose 21 days after his first shot.

I don't know if the vaccine clinic can override the request. My son is going for his first shot tomorrow and will take the letter with him. I'll update if he has any pushback on scheduling his second dose.

Scipio

I think this will possibly be of interest more to the Canadian members as our second doses of vaccines are being stretched out to 16 weeks, rather than the 3-4 weeks recommended by the vaccine manufacturers (not sure if this is being done in the U.S. as well).
This is not currently being done in the US. It has been suggested more than once by some prominent doctors or public health officials in order to have more vaccine available for more first doses, but so far those suggestions have been swatted away by the FDA.

There are some 2nd dose delays ocassionally occuring here and there due to local vaccine shortages, but those delays are usually only a few days to a week or two, and no delays have been intentional or preplanned. My own second dose was delayed 5 days due to vaccine shortage.

Lynda Lynda

I live in the USA. I am getting my first dose this Monday. It is the Moderna vaccine. I was told after my 1st dose that my 2nd dose will then be scheduled.

16 weeks is a long time ! Hope you can get scheduled sooner.

Tesscorm

Staff member
For the Canadian members... there's a group called Vaccine Hunters... they are amazing and constantly post updates from all vaccine clinics across Canada. It's run by volunteers and they post if a pharmacy has a few open apptmts, if there's a new pop-up clinic, etc. They're on Twitter and probably on FB as well.

Tesscorm

Staff member
It seems to be so much more complicated here! I don't know if it's all of Canada or Ontario or Toronto and surrounding areas?? There isn't one dedicated site to book vaccines! I was able to book my son's because my GP's clinic informed patients that the hospital network was arranging vaccines. Although my son is not a GP patient, he is a patient of the hospital thru his GI...

My husband got his through his mom's LTC home as a caregiver...

Got my mom her vaccine through our city and her age...

I have mine booked through Ontario site because of my age and postal (zip) code (apparently a 'hotspot')...

If you want Astra Zeneca and are over 40, anyone can book at most pharmacies...

My daughter is getting hers soon through her work (essential worker with food)...

Pop-up clinics literally pop-up because they (although, not sure who 'they' is) focus on a large company/warehouse/factory or a specific neighbourhood... but you need to somehow see a notification somewhere

So, you literally need to check so many sites to find if you qualify somewhere!

Vaccine Hunter seems to have volunteers gathering and posting this info. I think pharmacies send avail apptmts, people post if they've seen a 'pop-up clinic', etc. It is amazing these people started this and it's been picked up across Canada - thank God!

And, I agree, these situations bring out the best in some people!! There's a another organization, Pink Cars, in Toronto area, which will drive seniors to their vaccine appointments... also run by volunteers!

(And, yes, we're wearing our boots and mittens!! lol)

Scipio

Pfizer vaccine manufactured in the US is now being shipped to Canada since a Trump administration policy prohibiting the export of US-made COVID vaccines has expired:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Yes! Positive news for Canadians! we’ll now be receiving millions of doses per week (from Pfizer and others). I’m hoping that will translate into earlier second shots!
😁

also heard our Manitoba teachers and truck drivers are now being offered vaccines in North Dakota!

Yay!!