• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vaccine shedding from my son

My 15 month old is due for his MMR and varicella shots. I'm on entyvio (in remission, yay!) and also pregnant. I can't seem to get a good answer from my GI or the pediatrician or my own research as to whether or not I need to worry about vaccine shedding. I know entyvio isn't supposed to be suppressive in the same way as remicade/humira so I'm inclined to think I'm okay. But just not sure...

my little penguin

Staff member
evere immunosuppression can be the result of congenital immunodeficiency, HIV infection, leukemia, lymphoma, generalized malignancy or therapy with alkylating agents, antimetabolites, radiation, or a high dose, prolonged course of corticosteroids. The degree to which a person is immunocompromised should be determined by a physician. Severe complications have followed vaccination with live-virus vaccines and live bacterial vaccines among immunocompromised patients (146--153). These patients should not receive live vaccines except in certain circumstances that are noted in the following paragraphs. MMR vaccine viruses are not transmitted to contacts, and transmission of varicella vaccine virus is rare (6,138). MMR and varicella vaccines should be administered to susceptible household and other close contacts of immunocompromised patients when indicated.

From
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5102a1.htm