• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vaccines causing increase in IBD?

Hi all
I have a hunch about the increase in IBM in children and I want to get some input from others suffering from this disease. Before I tell my story I want to say I am a registered nurse and my first daughter is fully vaccinated...my second daughter had gi issues from birth..she had colic and silent reflux. She was breastfed and had normal bf poop. The day after her two month vaccination her poop turned bright green and her bowl movements were never the same again...her poop was mucousy and a greenish color. She was diagnosed with allergic colitis by the paediatrician. He said it was from the vaccine but said I should continue giving the vaccines...and "watch her like a hawk". I said but what if she gets ulcerative colitis from more vaccines and you know what he told me...then I could "blame" him and he would get her seen in Dublin quickly...
I have not continued with the vaccines and her poop is now normal...I gave probiotics and breastfed for 20 months...I am wondering if any other parents noticed a change in bowel habits after their children's vaccines?
Thanks in advance
Jeni

I was diagnosed after I turned 18. Normal and healthy until then, got all my vaccines. I don't believe there is a connection.

I don't know if I would jump to IBD being diagnosed with colitis. Stomach flu & IBS cause colitis. Syndrome is far from disease. I hope your kid stays on the syndrome side of things. Having a young one that is sick can be scary.

Both my kids (1 with IBD, the other not) had explosive bowel movements as babies and color changes is stool, but when i kept a food diary it could be tied to either my diet or their diet when they started eating solids. Never specifically to vaccines but i imagine it must have been scary to have it happen so close together. Have you started a food diary for your toddler?

Thanks for your input..my daughter was only on breast milk for first 6 months of life..The poos definitely changed after vaccine ...I think if I continued to give the vaccine I would have been damaging her bowel each time and maybe cause her to have the disease. Her bowel movements are fine now so no need for food diary but thank you for your advice.

Hi, I can't remember what the 2 month vaccine is - is it an attenuated virus?
How and where was the vaccine given?

I believe there is a connection. I have had stomach issues my whole life but never had abnormal bloodwork or tests until after I got a meningitis vaccine in high school and shortly after was diagnosed with crohn's.

mercury i think is eliminated in stool not urine, i recall some research papers mentioning this, could be a similar scenario with antibiotics, microbiota could be vulnerable to damage eliminated certain species, but everyone will have different risks so IBD could be a rare unknown side effect with vaccines. 4 studies already linked antibiotics to IBD though.

Hey king..The 2 month vaccine is two injections. The first is 6 in 1...It has diphtheria, hep b, hib, tetanus , polio and whooping cough. The second vaccine was for pcv. .think there is 13 types of bacteria. Neither one is a live virus...I have been researching online and in ireland a Dr. Hussey found in an article published in may 2012 that there has been a 90% increase in IBD in paediatrics between 2000 and 2010...They do not know why..In 2008 the vaccine schedule was changed over here to include pcv. ..I am wondering if there is a correlation? As I stated earlier..I am not an anti vaxxers. I just seen my daughters bowel habits change once she got the vaccine..I think that she had some underlying GI issues and that her body was not able to handle vaccine..thanks everyone for all your responses...

I'm sure as a Nurse you realise vaccines are never 100% safe and there will be side effects in some. These should always be weighed up against the good vaccines do and an informed decision made.

Luckily in your daughters case it was mild and did not last.

my little penguin

Staff member
Also as a nurse you realize allergic colitis is extremely common caused by and immature gut and immune system which is outgrown by most infants by age 1 regardless of immunization status.
Allergic colitis is an allergic reaction to a foreign protein typically milk in most infants ( even passed through breastmilk if the mom consumes it ) or cross contaminated from other foods procduced with milk on the same lines either mom or baby consume .
Not necessarily the same thing as ulcerative colitis since the mechanisms are different .

my little penguin

Staff member
http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Protocols/Protocol24_English_120211.pdf

But there is also eosinophilic colitis
↓ Full text
[Allergic colitis in exclusively breast-fed infants].
Sierra Salinas C, et al. An Pediatr (Barc). 2006.
Show full citation
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Eosinophilic colitis is induced by antigens present in cow's milk proteins in formula or human milk. In the last few years, an increasing number of cases have been diagnosed in exclusively breast-fed infants.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: We performed a retrospective study of 13 infants diagnosed with allergic colitis in our unit between January 1997 and January 2004. All the infants had been exclusively breast-fed.

RESULTS: In all patients, initial symptoms were digestive (12 with mucus and bloody stools). Onset of symptoms occurred at 0-3 months in 77 %. Laboratory data of the allergic compound were negative. The main locations were the descending and sigmoid colon (75 %). Biopsy demonstrated acute inflammation, with neutrophil infiltration and an increase in eosinophils. In all patients, initial treatment consisted of exclusion of cow's milk proteins from the mother's diet. Ten of the 13 patients showed no improvement, requiring exclusive administration of protein-free hydrolyzate. In 3 infants, breastfeeding was maintained (breastfeeding without cow's milk proteins plus hydrolyzate).

CONCLUSIONS: Diagnosis of eosinophilic colitis is based on exclusion of other causes of specific colitis and typical endoscopic and ultrastructural findings. Moreover, a satisfactory response to dietary treatment must be demonstrated. This diagnosis should be considered in breast-fed infants with rectal bleeding without involvement of general health status.

PMID 16527069 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Comment in
An Pediatr (Barc). 2007 Jan;66(1):104-5; author reply 105-6.
From
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16527069/

My entire family is fully vaccinated. I'm fully vaccinated, I had collic as an infant, before I even had my initial vaccines according to my parents. I was fine through my childhood until I hit my mid to late 20's when I started losing weight and using the bathroom a lot. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 31. I have a second cousin with Crohn's as well and his showed up at 11 years old, not even because of stomach issues but because he was running a fever all the time. No one else in our family seems to have Crohn's or any symptoms of it.

My little penguin..I have seen that your article you published and my question is did the colitis happen after the two month vaccination. ..The study states that the colitis started on the first three months of life. It also states that ten out of the thirteen babies had no improvement even when dairy removed from mothers diet. I don't feel that article actually disproves my theory but thanks for posting.

my little penguin

Staff member
Allergic colitis is very different from ulcerative colitis
A lot of kiddos are sensitive to other proteins other than just milk
Which is why they improved on the amino acid formula.
Neither of my kids did well when I ate milk or any of the other top eight allergens
Both got immunizations
But only one has Ibd ;)

I don't think vaccines harm every child's bowel.im a nurse but I wasn't very knowledgeable in vaccines..I did a bit of research before my first had the first set of injections but never even thought of not vaccinating..I knew how important it was to do it..It is only since I seen my seconds daughter reaction that I started researching more about this issue..did you know that in western Europe and the united states that Paedatric IBD is on an increase and they don't know why..
Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed /22535573.

But allergic colitis and IBD(UC and Crohns) are two very different things as is "colitis" and IBD. I don't see how you are making that correlation. The presentation of "colitis" and IBD(UC and CD) aren't the same.

Allergic colitis can be due to a number of things. Babies take in stronger or whole germs every day, numerous times by placing their fingers in their mouth, vaccines aren't whole germs, they are attenuated and often dead. I'm not sure how the doc knew causation due to this.

Can you show your sources for allergic colitis or colitis having any correlation with UC?

Hey..its all good. I didn't come on here for a debate..I know they are not the same thing. I work in theatre. .I see young adults coming down who have had to deal with uc or Crohn's..I only wanted to know if there were any other parents who noticed a change in bowel habits after the vaccines.( .I just posted my question on the parents forum.). I do not know there is a direct link..I just have a hunch and I'm trying to gather more information. Colitis means your colin is injured in some way..my daughters colon was injured from the vaccine..He made the diagnosis from the pictures I took of her bowel movements..and my observations. Thanks for your input...

There is no research I can find on the subject.all I can find out is that there is an increase in paedatric IBD in the us and western Europe. .I don't know what the reason is and neither do the doctors..its scary.