• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vagus Nerve & Headaches

does anyone have any knowledge or experience of headaches possibly caused by Vagus Nerve issues?

my ongoing headaches/earaches seem to be pointing in that direction, and i've been prescribed amitriptyline, which apparently on a low nightly dose acts as a pain blocker. i've also purchased a neck pillow, to allow for correct alignment of the neck/spine as i sleep.

from my memory, the Vagus Nerve affects digestion, and i know that a sudden neck movement can cause fainting if that nerve becomes temporarily compressed.. but i didn't know it could cause the pain i am suffering. any comments would be appreciated.

hmm i was seeing a chripractor (sp?) for a while and he scanned and xrayed and everything and said that my vagus nerve is out of whack. i think its what runs from the base of your brain to your gut, so its pretty much in charge of your entire digestion, yeah?

sorry ding, not much advice. just little bits ive picked up here and there.

hi Kim and Kello :)

no, i don't have vertigo, although in the past i've had some degree of dizziness, but not recently. it's purely the pain which is getting me down.. it's really debilitating.

i've heard that too, Kello, i think the Vagus is the main nerve from the brain to the digestive system, and it being out of whack can cause all kinds of symptoms.

i took my first Amitriptyline last night, and used the neck pillow for the first time too. i had a wonderful night's sleep, undisturbed (which is a first for months! i am usually downstairs on the pc at silly o'clock because of being in too much pain to stay in bed) and have woken with much-reduced pain in my head this morning.

whether it's coincidence, or my GP is on the right track, is too soon to tell. but so far so good :)

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Ding,

Amytrip works really well for nerve pain. Just be careful that it doesnt leave you feeling "spaced out" or a sort of "hung over feeling" til you know how you react to it. I have had it in the past for nerve pain in my right arm.

Hope you get some continued relief honey.

((hugs))

does anyone have any knowledge or experience of headaches possibly caused by Vagus Nerve issues?

my ongoing headaches/earaches seem to be pointing in that direction, and i've been prescribed amitriptyline, which apparently on a low nightly dose acts as a pain blocker. i've also purchased a neck pillow, to allow for correct alignment of the neck/spine as i sleep.

from my memory, the Vagus Nerve affects digestion, and i know that a sudden neck movement can cause fainting if that nerve becomes temporarily compressed.. but i didn't know it could cause the pain i am suffering. any comments would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem. If something doesn't move to the large intestine in a timely manner, a migraine, blinding pain in my cranium, eye sockets, and facial muscles. Heaven help me if I go to sleep without first being 'empty.' I have discovered a remedy, though I still have flares, I don't have them as often anymore: Water, water, water. If not water, tea. If I'm behind on my water intake, I've got an entire day of pain waiting. After the matter has been expelled, (finally), the 'flare' will end, but because of the irritation to my bowels, and my Vagus nerve, I've got another 4 hours or so until I'm back to normal. The worst one I had lasted for two days. I wasn't aware of what was going on then. It's not an eccentricity on your part, you're not a hypochondriac, it's "not all in your mind," and for people that roll their eyes at you, they don't have a clue. Water, water, water, and make sure you get walking in, or vigorous activity as you can. Thank you for your post. It's not a sexy subject, and having Crohns, or Vagus Nerve Disorder can be isolating.

This is really interesting, I get headaches & migraines too, but even more interesting is that they're doing trials for vagus nerve stimulation as a treatment for Crohn's, and as far as I remember the results were quite good.