• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vancomycin

Hi all

Just thought I'd update you on J's progress. Last year he was newly diagnosed and failed on Remicade / Humira / EEN / Steroids. This led to 3 hospitalizations and the brink of surgical solutions. It was a scary time.

So, in January J started Stelara. He was in a bad way in hospital and I was very concerned at the length of time it could take to kick in. I had heard about multiple antibiotics having some efficacy and I asked the GI consultant to try it. J started on the Stelara on the Monday and the antibiotics on the Friday.

Within ten days of starting the antibiotics, J had gone from 20 bm's throughout the day to 1-2.

As part of maintenance, J is taking Vancomycin for 2 weeks of the month which we have now switched up to 4 weeks of the month. He had a hiccup 10 days ago but has bounced back pretty quickly. He has also continued with the Stelara.

I know the antibiotics don't work for everyone but there are some for whom it does, especially in pediatrics. There is also very little information around Vancomycin other than a small study (19 kids) which was reasonably successful. The GI consultant has one other kid who is being kept healthy on the Vancomycin, as it's obviously not considered a first (or second) line treatment. It's action is not fully understood, it could be killing a bug or have some anti tnf properties at the molecular level.

I just thought I would throw it out there as there is not a lot of information about it around.

crohnsinct

Good for you! So happy you found something that works. I happen to be on another forum (SCD) where a lot of the kids are helped with antibiotics and O has trailed quite a few herself.

Long may your success continue!