• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vascular spasms

So DS had rashes on his thighs yet again..
:voodoo::voodoo:

Rheumo is watching it
They appear if he is standing in one spot too long

Took him to the ped
Who mentioned vascular spasms

He sees Rheumo Tuesday

Just wondering what type of tests to expect

Anyone else have this at all ???

Hi Mr chicken welcome to the forum.
When you say rashes....can you explain more?
Like, raised or not, color, blanch at the touch.............

Is it painful or itchy???

No welcome needed
It's mlp
Login issues. Long story
Rash is livedo recticularis
( mottled fish net pattern on thighs )
No itching etc

Just red purple

No help for you here but hope you get answers and things worked out soon.
Penguin/Chicken we'll take our guru however we can :)

Skin looks mottled, blotchy, and reticulated without distinct borders. It has a network pattern and a bluish, reddish discoloration. It does not blanche. It may be more pronounced with cold weather.

Commonly found on arms, legs, hands, and feet. It occasionally presents on the trunk.

Livedo reticularis has many causes. It is thought to be due to spasms of the blood vessels or an abnormality of the local circulation. It may be a dermatologic clue to a serious medical underlying illness as lupus erythematosus. Disturbances of hormonal and autonomic regulatory mechanisms may also contribute to this condition. It seems to occur more in women than in men and usually in the 3rd decade of life. It is often idiopathic and benign.

Persistent, mottled, reddish-blue dermal streaks that do not blanche. Blood vessels are constricted or narrowed
From
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474871

His feet get cold as well
If you touch the skin the feet are cold
No rash or change of color on the feet

Not vasculitis
Saw Rheumo today
DS has autonomic dysfunction which is causing the Livedo reticularis
Apparently cold AND gravity ( see webmd doesn't mention that )
Can cause it .
Just superficial circulatory issue with small amount deeper

So plan is lots of warm fluids / blankets / socks etc / massage and exercise ( movement ) - at this point no meds needed . Not harmful just feels and looks weird

So the good nothing to worry about
The bad he still has symptoms that we have to deal with

The worse Its summer here so not sure what will be the plan in winter .
He also has issues getting too hot outside quickly

Mr. Chicken,
Or MLP,
Can you post a picture next time he gets it?
This sounds similar to the rash my daughter gets in the heat or when she showers.

Mr chicken - I noticed something odd with A's legs last night that I'm wondering if you've ever seen on your son. Initially I noticed that her legs looked very dark in spots, almost like large bruises but with poorly defined boundaries. We were busy shopping so I made a mental note to check her out better later. That evening, after shopping and walking for several hours, I noticed that the veins in her legs were very visible, bright blue and purple and seemingly close to the surface. Not bulging, just easily noticeable, like a roadmap of veins. She is not pale and her veins typically don't stand out in this way. This morning they've almost disappeared except for a few on the back of her knees. Her legs didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable but she did have back pain. This was unlike the rash you described, but I'm curious if you've seen this as well. It was very odd looking but perhaps something completely harmless.

I have livedo reticularis due to autonomic dysfunction. I had to have some testing to rule out APS and a biopsy was considered but when first tests came by okay we held off.

Here is a link that was given to me by my EP when we first delved into why the LR was showing up.

http://www.angiologist.com/uniquely-vascular-medicine/livedo-reticularis/

Since my autonomic dysfunction affects hr and we haven't discovered an underlying cause for it I was also tested for lupus and Sjorgrens, Vascular EDS and one other thing I can't remember.

Dancemom
DS has had many different types of weird rashes involving purple spots /veins
Etc....
He is very pale so veins that are visible but not bulging are basically every where on him including his legs behind his knees etc.....

I just take photos and Rheumo has us track how often they happen and how long they stay .