• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vegan SCD diet -- Help Please Please.

Hi any Vegeterians tried SCD diet and what we could we eat if we for vegeterians....

Any help or inputs is appreciated.

SCD is pretty clear about what you can't eat.

Additional advice for vegans:
- Eat real food—no fake meats, processed soy products, vegan junk food, etc.
- Avoid high omega-6 vegetable oils and take a vegan DHA supplement.
- Supplement with vitamin K2.
- Supplement with a vegan form of vitamin D3.
- Enhance your beta carotene absorption and conversion.
- Properly prepare any grains, legumes, or nuts you eat.
- Maximize iron absorption using vitamin-C-rich foods.
- Keep your thyroid in good shape.
- Take vitamin B12.
- Try going gluten-free.
- Eat some fermented foods.
- Supplement with taurine.
- Consider adding oysters or other non-sentient bivalves to your diet.

expanded and explained in detail here-
http://rawfoodsos.com/for-vegans/

"If you take nothing else away from this page, at least listen to this: humans are much, much more genetically diverse than most of us realize, and one person’s success as a vegan doesn’t guarantee your own. You may be truly physically incapable of absorbing or converting certain nutrients in their plant form. Your health history, your gut ecology, your medical conditions, and even what your mom ate while you were gestating all influence your current nutritional needs. Veganism is a modern experiment—a dietary situation humans have never before faced—and its full repercussions are still unknown. Trouble thriving is not a personal failure. As much as veganism roots itself in compassion, please consider that you, as a living breathing human, also deserve your own kindness."
Denise Minger, RawFoodSOS

Great quote from Denise Minger. Her blog is very interesting and I encourage you to check it out. She is a former vegan that has done a lot of research into what is the truth regarding health and nutrition.

I am a former vegetarian and I am convinced that vegetarianism was a contributing factor to the development of my Crohn's. It certainly wasn't the only factor, by any means, but the very foods that I was eating that I thought were healthy (all those *healthy* whole grains and legumes) were contributing to gut dysposis, the overgrowth of bad bacteria, and the promotion of inflammation in my body. It's just my opinion, but I believe that vegetarian diets, at least how they are implemented in the Western world, are not an optimal for most people, let alone those with IBD.

I completely understand the motivation behind wanting to be vegetarian/vegan. I think the factory farms in this country are just horrible and unethical on so many levels. I've managed to reconcile my views by sourcing local, organic, pasture-raised meat. It's more expensive, but worth it. As far as doing the SCD while being vegetarian, the author does say that it would be very difficult to ensure enough nutrients/calories. You would also be missing out on the healing benefits of bone and meat broths. But it may be possible if you are very dedicated. Just be careful and make sure you track your calories and nutrients with an online food log. Good luck.