• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vegetables in smoothies easier to tolerate?

I get a very full uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when I eat spinach. The feeling will even carry over to the next day sometimes. my theory is that it's difficult for me to digest and upsets things...so, I'm wondering, if I were to put spinach in a smoothie and it was all broken down and mushed up, would it be easier to tolerate?

Does anyone else do this with veggies/fruits/etc. they can't eat on their own?

I am guessing the spinach is causing you some issues, I know it causes me major issues. Making it into a smoothie will help ease symptoms, but could still give u issues due to the amount of fiber still involved. I put spinach in my juicer now, so I still get nutrients and not all the fiber.

I do avoid spinach. I was just curious if breaking down the vegetable makes it easier to digest and therefore doesn't cause any issues! it'd make it easier to get more good vitamins and nutrients.

nogutsnoglory

Anything blended and well cooked will help break down the fiber matrix but it still may bother you. It's all trial and error but I think raw vegetables without blending are a no no for most of us.

Sometimes I put a handful of raw spinach into my son's fruit smoothie and he seems to be fine with it.

Yet, most of the greens he eats are cooked and blended into soups, like lentil.

if I were to put spinach in a smoothie and it was all broken down and mushed up, would it be easier to tolerate? Does anyone else do this with veggies/fruits/etc. they can't eat on their own?
It "should" be easier to tolerate. But I suggest you start off very very slowly with just a small handful and build up from there. Lettuce can also be used but it makes you sleepy. Kale is too strong.

If I have a spinach smoothie every day, I am fine once I get into the swing of things. But when I first started or if I don't have one for a few months, I will do several dashes to the loo for the first few days. It is just your body getting use to the additional fiber.

I normally start them on a Friday night, so the next day I am not working and at home near a toilet. Once your body is use to the extra fiber you "should" be OK.

I rely on smoothies and juicing to get my nutrients and find juicing especially useful if I am flaring.

Papain is a papaya enzyme and is particularly helpful in relieving C & UC symptoms because it has soothing anti-inflammatory properties

So a good smoothie to start with is:

A serving of peeled fresh ripe papaya (not seeds) flesh; thoroughly blended with a glass of filtered water.

And after a few days, you can then try adding a handful of raw spinach. I tried it with frozen spinach once and it was revolting. Fresh is the best way to go.

The secret is in the blending. I have a Vitamix blender which pulverizes everything in sight. I brought it specifically for this reason as my other blender was leaving visible bits of leaf / fiber behind.

I cannot blend raw broccoli into a smoothie and I cannot eat it whole either - terrible terrible pains. But I can juice it with absolutely no problems. So just have a play around and see what works best for you.

I also want to get a Vitamix. that's a lot of money! ha
Yes, it is a LOT of money...........but SO worth it. :)

I saved for two years to buy a brand new Vitamix, and could NOT live without it now.

But you can also buy second-hand refurbished / reconditioned Vitamixs and this would be cheaper for you. Have a look on the Head Office website for this information.

You cannot really use a Vitamix for juicing. Well you could if you were desperate, but it is just so long-winded, time consuming and messy to do.

I use a juicer called the "Omega J8005 Single-Gear Masticating Juicer", and it is brilliant.

My Vitamix cost $375 new from Costco. That's only like a dollar a day, for a year. It's been over 2 years now and it's still going strong. :)

Husband has a Ninja and it leaves tiny pieces of leaves, etc., so not as good for our son.

Yea I buy the blendables smoothies from my grocery freezer section, some of them have kale or carrots in it. The one with carrots has peaches and oranges and stuff, kinda taste like orange sherbet. Super gentle on my very sensitive stomach

thank you so much for all the replies and information! I'm gonna save up to get a Vitamix and/or a juicer. I'll definitely check out the Head Office website, thanks, SmellyMelly!