• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vegetarian and starting the SCD diet

I will be starting this diet for my son in 5 weeks. He's been a vegetarian since birth and wants to remain one, so it's going to be a little more challenging...

We're going to begin with legal yogurt, cheesecake, 50/50 grape juice, overcooked carrots (without the chicken) applesauce and eggs.

I have seen a lot of very inexpensive recipes that are scd legal and vegan.
When my daughter couldn't eat hummus anymore, due to the garbanzo beans, I was so happy to find a recipe for Red Lentil Hummus for her and I love it, too!

I don't see the diet as needing to cost a lot. My daughter who has been on it for 7 years says that she lives on fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, salads, yogurt, beans and the occasional piece of meat.

She has been symptom free for the entire time and has a tendency to GAIN weight on it, so she's diligent about going to the gym several days a week.

If the diet works for my son as well, I will be on cloud 9! :)

Anyone have any favorite SCD vegetarian recipes?

KWalker

Amy2 I have moved your post to your own thread because I feel you will be able to find more advice in here.

I will be starting this diet for my son in 5 weeks. He's been a vegetarian since birth and wants to remain one, so it's going to be a little more challenging...

We're going to begin with legal yogurt, cheesecake, 50/50 grape juice, overcooked carrots (without the chicken) applesauce and eggs.

I have seen a lot of very inexpensive recipes that are scd legal and vegan.
When my daughter couldn't eat hummus anymore, due to the garbanzo beans, I was so happy to find a recipe for Red Lentil Hummus for her and I love it, too!

I don't see the diet as needing to cost a lot. My daughter who has been on it for 7 years says that she lives on fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, salads, yogurt, beans and the occasional piece of meat.

She has been symptom free for the entire time and has a tendency to GAIN weight on it, so she's diligent about going to the gym several days a week.

If the diet works for my son as well, I will be on cloud 9! :)

Anyone have any favorite SCD vegetarian recipes?
I think vegetarian and SCD is possible. At first, your title made me think you were attempting vegan and SCD and that would be tough!

We stick mostly to the SCD as a family for my son's sake (he is the only one who has to be strict with it). My daughter is a vegetarian and she has done fine. In fact, she had some tummy troubles that have been resolved (we think maybe too much gluten is not good for her?).

Please change title to vegetarian and scd? Son is not vegan, he eats eggs and dairy.
I have submitted a title change for you :)

I will be thinking about anything special my dd eats but nothing comes to mind right off. She eats basic fruits, veggies, almond flour baked goods, etc.

KWalker

Sorry about that! I knew it said vegetarian so I'm not sure why I still put Vegan. It's fixed now