• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very concerned about symptoms, in a bad place right now

Hello everyone. I am a 27 year old male and a filmmaker and artist. I'm a very private person and as a result I've greatly kept most things to myself in my life, including my health concerns. But I've chosen now to reach out, basically out of grave concern for my health. I have had the unfortunate combination of crohn's disease, irritable bowl syndrome, and severe bulimia for almost a decade now. I've struggled intensely with my ailments, and my main problem is that because of my bulimia, I am unable to take proper care of my crohn's, often relapsing out of depression (it's a vicious cycle which constantly perpetuates itself), gaining and losing 50+ pounds back and forth repeatedly, terribly inflaming my condition, up until the point I am at now, with very gravely worrying symptoms which I will explain in a moment.

Additionally, to complicate matters, I live in the US and due to my preexisting conditions am denied all standard insurance, and was denied disability as well because crohn's is not considered a "sufficient disability". So I currently do not have any health insurance, and have not had any since 2010/2011 at which point I (SO FOOLISHLY it makes me so furious with myself) released my health insurance plan because I believed I was in remission and was struggling to afford the $200 a month. The last time I had a colonoscopy and blood work done was in 2010/2011 (when my bulimia was much less severe as well) and at that time, everything came back clear, thankfully.

But in the year 2013 my bulimia has been the worst it's ever been (constant binges entailing unhealthy food, and inability/lack of exercise), and so my crohn's is giving me symptoms I've never felt before in my life. My current symptoms which are worrying me so much, as of 7/31/2013:

- My colon pretty much feels chronically inflamed 50%+ of the day, most days. The pain ranges from mild to intense. The location also varies, from the right of my genital area (right side of the intestine) where I have two confirmed ulcers (which were in remission in 2010/2011), to the left of my genital area (left side of the intestine) occasionally, which is more of a stinging feeling there, all the way towards the bottom of the colon, I guess which would be the rectal area, I often feel a throbbing, aching, stinging, and sometimes light "burning" sensation.

- At the bottom of my colon in the rectal area, I sometimes feel a "pressure" to pass a stool, even if I recently have (though if I have, the feeling is significantly lessened though sometimes still present). This "pressure" is usually accompanied by a throbbing pain which can be mild, but still able to be felt. Occasionally, the pain is sometimes higher, and is felt in the very bottom of the lower back region, above the rectal area.

- I occasionally (3 times a week or so) have a throbbing pain in my testicles AND the shaft of my penis. My bladder is also tends to feel somewhat "inflamed" a few times a week when I wake up in the morning and the bladder has been filled overnight with natural fluids. Also recently, if I intentionally push down on my genital area, to the right of my penis, I feel an almost severe throbbing pain. I'm not sure if that's the bladder or my intestine causing it, but I will say that it is very near to where my two ulcers are confirmed to be, though I do not feel this pain unless I intentionally push down on it. My prostate seems to be ok as I was sexually active up until 9 months ago.

- A week ago I felt a sudden stinging pain in my colon which radiated to my left leg before disappearing. It hasn't recurred and never happened before then but still was scary and new so I thought I would include it here.

- I am possibly experiencing fatigue (cat-napping 2-3 times a day) but I'm not sure if it's just from the culmination of all my conditions put together plus the burdens of life. I figured I would mention it but not sure it's anything out of the ordinary.

Negatives symptoms I do NOT have YET:

- No blood in or on stool.

- Stools still look essentially "normal". They are somewhat smaller than they used to be, but nothing like "pencil-thin", or something I haven't seen before. As of now, not very alarmed by the stools themselves as I do believe they look normal.

- No weight loss experienced (in fact I've gained 50 pounds due to my bulimia).

With the way things are in America, I'm currently trying to wait until January 2014, only 4 months away, when Healthcare Reform is present and I will finally be able to purchase health insurance again regardless of my preexisting condition. But what I'm worried about is that I could possibly be in stage 2 or even 3 of colon cancer with these symptoms I'm exhibiting and that waiting 4 months would put my life in peril. From your observations and experience, could these symptoms just be from a combination of Crohns, IBS, Bulimia, and lack of proper nutrition and exercise? Or do they really indicate I have something more severe? Just looking for feedback at this point. ANY and all help would be GREATLY appreciated from the bottom of my heart. Thank you very much for reading.

Last edited:

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello, and welcome
Thank you for sharing your story, from what it sounds like you have been through a lot and to type all it all out must of been hard for you.
I would like to say first and foremost, this is a great community, no one judges, feel free to talk about anything you need to, even if its not disease related.
I also wanted to tell you that Crohn's is now considered a debilatating condition that you CAN get disability benefits for. You might have to fight a little harder for it but its not impossible. My suggestion is to hire a lawyer even before you file the initial claim, they only get paid if you win and the goverment mandates how much they can actually take from you (max is 6k, they have to petition for more if they think they deserve more). Its best to hire a local small town lawyer, I went with Binder and Binder and lost when I clearly had a case. I feel like I didn't get the attention I needed.
The symptoms you have listed, are they all Crohn's related? I don't know anything about the male reproductive system and Crohn's so I don't have any advice on that, but I am sure a male will be around shortly.
A lot of times there are hospitals that will help their patients obtain insurance or offer you some type of assistance so you can get the medical attention you deserve and need. Also, a lot of cities (or towns) offer some type of disability resource program (you don't have to be on disability) where they can help you find programs or resources so you can manage your health.
I hope all this helps, welcome !

Hello, and welcome
Thank you for sharing your story, from what it sounds like you have been through a lot and to type all it all out must of been hard for you.
I would like to say first and foremost, this is a great community, no one judges, feel free to talk about anything you need to, even if its not disease related.
I also wanted to tell you that Crohn's is now considered a debilatating condition that you CAN get disability benefits for. You might have to fight a little harder for it but its not impossible. My suggestion is to hire a lawyer even before you file the initial claim, they only get paid if you win and the goverment mandates how much they can actually take from you (max is 6k, they have to petition for more if they think they deserve more). Its best to hire a local small town lawyer, I went with Binder and Binder and lost when I clearly had a case. I feel like I didn't get the attention I needed.
The symptoms you have listed, are they all Crohn's related? I don't know anything about the male reproductive system and Crohn's so I don't have any advice on that, but I am sure a male will be around shortly.
A lot of times there are hospitals that will help their patients obtain insurance or offer you some type of assistance so you can get the medical attention you deserve and need. Also, a lot of cities (or towns) offer some type of disability resource program (you don't have to be on disability) where they can help you find programs or resources so you can manage your health.
I hope all this helps, welcome !
Thank you for this information! I will definitely take this into account, I actually was even thinking about reapplying for disability with the help of a lawyer, though affording their fee if I am successful in my claim would be very difficult, but it's definitely something which is likely a good idea for me to consider at this point. And thank you likewise for your sincere and warm welcome. I'm glad I found this place.

If I understand correctly, the fee they would take comes out of your disability settlement. My mother in law was recently awarded disability (with the assistance of an attorney), and when it was approved, she got back pay to when she became disabled. It was from this amount that the attorney's fees were paid.

In the meantime, if there are any support groups in your area for men with bulimia, I hope you will consider giving that a try!

If I understand correctly, the fee they would take comes out of your disability settlement. My mother in law was recently awarded disability (with the assistance of an attorney), and when it was approved, she got back pay to when she became disabled. It was from this amount that the attorney's fees were paid.

In the meantime, if there are any support groups in your area for men with bulimia, I hope you will consider giving that a try!
I see, that makes sense. Thank you!

Right now however I'm mainly concerned with identifying if the symptoms I'm experiencing could potentially be indicative of colon cancer, that's what I'm worried about most right now

valleysangel92

Staff member
I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that we're all supporting you can as us anything. Unfortunately I cant really help with the insurance issues as I dont live in America. I would say to try and look around on line for any support agencies in your area for people with medical conditions and for people with bulimia. I know its hard to talk about these conditions but you have nothing to be ashamed of and you dont need to do this alone.

We also have a support group for people with crohns that arent insured which may be very helpful to you. Here is the link http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=49965

I do think your symptoms should be checked out as soon as you are able but I think you should be reassured that you dont currently have any bleeding and you aren't having any unexplained weightloss. The symptoms your experiencing in your colon can be the result of crohns and may be a sign of inflammation in the colon and near the rectum.. I wouldnt know about the issuses with genitalia unless theres maybe a fistula, hopefully an experienced male will be around soon. You deserve proper medical attention and I hope that you find an organisation that can help you achieve it.

Remember, we're all here for you :) :hang:

Hi,
Whenever I worry about my family or myself having some kind of illness, I always check my symptoms on mayoclinic.com. According to this website the symptoms for colon cancer are..

Signs and symptoms of colon cancer include:

A change in your bowel habits, including diarrhea or constipation or a change in the consistency of your stool
Rectal bleeding or blood in your stool
Persistent abdominal discomfort, such as cramps, gas or pain
A feeling that your bowel doesn't empty completely
Weakness or fatigue
Unexplained weight loss

My mother passed away from colon cancer and one of her main symptoms was blood in her stool. Since you don't have this and you haven't lost any weight, I think that you probably don't have colon cancer as this is one of the main symptoms. However, I'm not a doctor so this is my guess. Perhaps you might have some kind of infection and need antibiotics?? Since you don't have health insurance, why don't you try going to a health clinic. CVS pharmacy has a walk-in health clinic where you pay a flat rate. Perhaps they could help you in some way. If I think of anything else I will let you know. Take care.

I agree, you need to get a lawyer to help you with the disability. I have been sick with lost of stuff since 2003. I had to stop working I got so sick. Well after just about 5 years of being sick I applied to SS disability. I got a lawyer first and he helped me. I did not have to pay anything upfront. What they do is they will file for your disability from when you first started getting sick up to three years back. Believe me, when I first applied for disability I was shot down immediately. When I got the lawyer, I won! What happens is that you get a lawyer who wont take anything unless you win. But SS will usually end up giving you back pay from three years back or something like that. The lawyer will just take his cut from that back pay money. I think it is absurd that they do not recognize Crohns as a disability, but yet they have people walking around on disability with way less serious diseases. Unreal! Oh, and once you get accepted, you will qualify for medicare and that should help you with hospitalization and doctors visits for some things.