• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very High Value of Calprotectine

Hi
My son aged 17.5 years has been diagnosed of having Crone's disease. He underwent Endoscopy, capsule endoscopy and was confirmed to have the disease. Since then, he is under doctor's supervision.
He is under Steroid pills (BUDESONIDE 3 mg) and the dose has been gradually decreasing. It is now time to visit the doctor as follow up. However the latest test of Fecal Calprotectine shows a very high value of 900 and I am really depressed. The last time (4 months back) the same test showed a result of below 50.

EIA - AUTO IMMUNE
FECAL CALPROTECTIN, STOOL
FECAL CALPROTECTIN 900.00 High (NEGATIVE: < OR = 50 mg/kg)
METHOD : FLUOROENZYME IMMUNOASSAY

I joined this forum today only. Wanted to have valuable advice from my friends of this forum. I am in Kolkata India.

Welcome to this forum. I am sorry for your son's results. There is a great section in here called Parents of Kids with IBD.

Scipio

Hello and welcome.

The high fecal calprotectin indicates some sort of inflammation in the gut. Was your son on a higher dose of budesonide (9 mg?) when the value was 50? If so that would suggest that the disease is recurring as the dose is being lowered.

I suggest you discuss with your doctor transitioning your son from the budesonide to a strong or moderately-strong immunosuppressant such as azathioprine (Imuran) and/or one of the anti-TNF biologics. The budesonide steroid should be viewed as a temporary measure to get the disease under control until a maintenance medicine can be brought on.

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear about your son. Was 3mg of Budesonide the starting does? 9mg is usually the starting dose and you taper down from there after symptoms subside(and you transition to a maintenance med). How long ago were the scopes? Where is his Crohn's located? Sounds like his Crohn's may not be controlled-you certainly don't want him on the steroids long term. There are sections on this forum for parents of kids with IBD(they are a very knowledgeable group and know exactly what you are going through) and there also is a section Crohn's Indians Support group(use can use the search function to find)