• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very new to this.

Hi there! I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease on September 25, 2015. After about a month of increasingly painful and frequent symptoms, a colonoscopy showed severe Crohn's disease. I began my senior year of high school healthy and worry-free, focused on school and eager to graduate. Now, less than three months later, my life has completely changed. I spent most of the last month in the hospital, struggling with symptoms from the Crohn's disease and also a horribly-timed kidney stone that required surgery to pass. I lost over 15 pounds during my time in the hospital, and also missed over a month of school. As a result of my absence from school, I've opted to finish my senior year online. The emotional tole of all of this has been pretty rough, but I definitely understand the importance of staying positive. Since being discharged from the hospital in mid-October, I've gained 15 pounds and I finally feel relatively good for the first time in months. I've received two Infliximab (Remicade) infusions and am due for another one in two weeks. Just last week, I began methotrexate self-injections. The methotrexate has left me feeling very nauseous and fatigued. I am currently tapering off of prednisone, and can't be any happier to almost be off of it. The prednisone has caused acne breakouts all over my face, and also makes me very shaky. I've had to make a lot of adjustments to my every day life, but I am very thankful that these medications are controlling my Crohn's disease. Now that I have finally found relief, despite it possibly being temporary, from the symptoms of Crohn's disease, I will not take feeling healthy for granted again for a very long time. I know I'm at the very beginning of my battle with Crohn's disease, but these forums have already given me great encouragement for the future!

Hi there! I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease on September 25, 2015. After about a month of increasingly painful and frequent symptoms, a colonoscopy showed severe Crohn's disease. I began my senior year of high school healthy and worry-free, focused on school and eager to graduate. Now, less than three months later, my life has completely changed. I spent most of the last month in the hospital, struggling with symptoms from the Crohn's disease and also a horribly-timed kidney stone that required surgery to pass. I lost over 15 pounds during my time in the hospital, and also missed over a month of school. As a result of my absence from school, I've opted to finish my senior year online. The emotional tole of all of this has been pretty rough, but I definitely understand the importance of staying positive. Since being discharged from the hospital in mid-October, I've gained 15 pounds and I finally feel relatively good for the first time in months. I've received two Infliximab (Remicade) infusions and am due for another one in two weeks. Just last week, I began methotrexate self-injections. The methotrexate has left me feeling very nauseous and fatigued. I am currently tapering off of prednisone, and can't be any happier to almost be off of it. The prednisone has caused acne breakouts all over my face, and also makes me very shaky. I've had to make a lot of adjustments to my every day life, but I am very thankful that these medications are controlling my Crohn's disease. Now that I have finally found relief, despite it possibly being temporary, from the symptoms of Crohn's disease, I will not take feeling healthy for granted again for a very long time. I know I'm at the very beginning of my battle with Crohn's disease, but these forums have already given me great encouragement for the future!
It is extremely tough making that switch to online for highschool. I had to do the same thing my senior year and you feel like you are missing out on so much. But your health is way more important. I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I hope that these medicines work for you and give you a lasting remission!

Sorry to hear of all you've been through. My son was started on Remicade at dx and later had to add methotrrxate. Are you taking folic acid along with the mtx? It can help with some of the mtx side effects and is usually warranted since mtx is an antifolate.

I hope your treatment brings you quick remission.

Welcome mgm10 to the forum when I was in high school(the mid to late 90's) online schooling wasn't really an option but my health was so poor for Jr. & Sr. Years my doctors pushed for me to be home schooled but I refused not wanting to miss out looking back I probably made the wrong discussion as my need to be normal caused me more harm than good.

Hoping all this ends well for you

fuzzy butterfly

Welcome mgm10. Sorry u need to be here. Hope the meds work well for you. Wishing you all the very best. Keep positive it can only help. 💖

Sorry to hear of all you've been through. My son was started on Remicade at dx and later had to add methotrrxate. Are you taking folic acid along with the mtx? It can help with some of the mtx side effects and is usually warranted since mtx is an antifolate.

I hope your treatment brings you quick remission.
I started taking folic acid after the second injection, it definitely helped lessen the side affects of the methotrexate. Zofran also really helps to reduce the nausea.