• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very Restricted Diet - Help!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease and Crohn's and still figuring out what I can eat. And since I just recovered from a bout of pancreatitis, I can add "low-fat" to list. My diet must be within the following bounds:

Gluten-Free
Lactose-Free
Low-Sugar
Low-Fibre
Low-Fat

I can't eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, though I try to sneak them in with meals or things that are very digestible, like yoghurt. No leafy green vegetables for sure. I stay away from spicy foods, very sugary things like candy, and most nuts, which also seem to exacerbate things. My friends, ever-so-helpful, have suggested either chicken broth or rice. Tongue-in-cheek, of course, but it feels almost that limited. Maybe after I get used to doing this for awhile I'll complain less. ;)

If you have any recipes, suggestions, or advice, I'd be most grateful. Even just snack suggestions would be helpful.

Dober, the times I have been on a low fat, low residue diet, to get the nutrition and some taste, I drank V-8 juices and ate baby food fruits. I could still do cottage cheese then too. If you have a blender, you can puree almost anything!

"Low-residue diet" - that's exactly the name of what I'm looking for. I want to do the SCD, but even that seems like it would be too aggressive right now. I could live on smoothies, except for the fresh fruit . . . wonder if I could stew the berries before hand, then use them? Would that work? Have to look up how much lactose is in cottage cheese . . . might be an option.
For lunch I had tomato/red pepper soup (pureed) and watered down mango juice. Also learning to chew my food really, really well - before I used to just be in a hurry to get something down before my stomach started hurting, but then learned that that was a no-no.

Yes, chewing well is very important! You are on the right track, flavor helps keep us from feeling like we are constantly prepping for a scope!

Dobermonster, I've been eating very well like this for awhile now. You have a great store in Kelowna that I visited in March where you should be able to get many of these types of foods: Choices Market. Take your time shopping and have a few meals in mind that you want to shop for and read all the labels and ask the staff lots of questions.

Start with rice, chicken, carrots, pears, low-fat unsweetened soy milk, small amounts of olive oil for cooking, and small amounts of vegan margarine for a spread and move on from there. Peel and cook the fruits and veggies to start--they'll be easier to digest and taste sweeter. Save the cooking juices from the fruits/ veggies to flavour other foods.

Start with white rice and move onto other types that have more nutrients, but also more fibre as you tolerate it. There are many types of rice: cooked rice, rice cakes, rice crackers, ready-to-eat rice (plain), hot rice cereal, cream of rice cereal, and gluten-free rice crispies (if you are allowed that amount of sugar), rice flakes, rice puffs and rice flour.

Later move on to other grains like quinoa and amaranth and Gluten-free oats if you are allowed them. Terrific snacks are Quinoa Crunchies http://www.gogoquinoa.com/products/breakfast/crunchies-chocolate-/
and Quinoa Cookies http://www.gogoquinoa.com/products/cookies/quinoa-cookies-chocolate-chips/
They are expensive, but worth it.

Find a gluten-free vegan cookbook-- think low-fat when you read it (many vegan recipes are high in fat) and find cookbooks for diabetics (low sugar) and people with heart disease (low fat) (ones sponsored by the Heart and Stroke Foundation) and you'll be all
set.

It seems daunting at first-- but I've been doing it for about 9 months quite well.
P.S. I think Quality Foods even has pre-cooked chickens with a mild spice rub that is gluten-free for those days when you just don't want to cook.

:goodluck:

I forgot to mention that on the website of the store you can search by exclusion criteria for products. Look under 'Department' and then 'grocery' and check the exclusion boxes gluten, dairy, etc. and type in the item you are looking for, for ex. 'Cookies' and wait for it to list what products they carry that will work for you. http://www.choicesmarket.com/departmentDetails.aspx

One more thing, the Living Without Magazine's website has lots of info on it for how to eat without dairy, gluten, etc.: http://www.livingwithout.com/resources/substitutions.html

And I checked my gluten-free rice crisps, in one serving of 24 grams of carbs there are only 2 grams of simple sugar, so with some soy milk it should be an Ok snack for you. (In my early days of eating this way, I combined baby food pureed pears with the Rice Krispies--yummy.)

I'm currently in the process of 'officially' being diagnosed and have such a restricted diet similar to yours. Breakfast is g-free oats( made w egg white , cinnamon, flax seed) and berries, protein powder
Snack protein powder, 1/2 asian pear. Lunch chicken with cuccumber, small leafy salad. Afternoon snack cottage cheese , 1/2 asian pear.dinner chicken and veggies...... Normally not hungry by this point and so bloated. I sometimes have a night snack of low fat/sugar pudding and berries just to keep my cal intake up ............ I occasionally have a diet pop but other than that only drink water. Condiments are kraft olive oil dressings, low sodium ketchup. Sometimes dijion mustard.

I used to be sick 6/7 days a week now its maybe a few days every other. Still not great but better. I always pack food when I go places and restaurant meals leave me feeling awful despite my modifications.

I don't mind the bland/ lack of variety if it means feeling better..... So any suggestions ?

i AM SO CONFUSED ON WHAT TO EAT AND WHAT NOT TO EAT i DO KNOW THAT i CAN'T EAT CORN NUTS AND DAIRY I DRINK LACTAID MILK BUT CAN DRINK ACTIVIA YOGURTS I EAT TURKEY SAUSAGE EGGS AND GARLIC RICE FOR BREAKFAST ANYTHING ELSE I JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT IF IT HURTS :( I FEEL SO STUPID WHAT WORKS GOOD FOR YOU GUYS BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNER AND EASY ON THE POCKETS ?

For a while now (early march through middle/late May) I've basically been on the low residue diet. The foods I found I could eat were:
White rice
cucumbers with fat free dressings
rice cakes
oatmeal
potatoes (I could eat a lot of potatoes) - umm, no skin
dried potatoes
yogurt
cottage cheese
sweet potatoes
bananas

Basically I went low fat, low sugar, low residue, non-caffiene, low fiber, and reduced dairy.

The trick I learned was to rotate 2-3 foods out for a couple days so you have something "new" to eat every couple days.

As much as I hate hearing it myself...you just have to try and see what your body can take because everyone is different. Good luck.

kiny

Man, this is a really restrictive diet, are you sure it needs to be that restrictive.

@Dober - is part of the dietary restriction because of stomach pain after eating? If so, you may want to consider talking to your GI to see if you can get an anti-spasm meds for when you eat. I'm on one and it helps a LOT.

@kiny - who's diet is that in reference to? If you're talking about mine, I was in a flare with no help from medicine and no help from the GI. It was complete trial and error during my first flare (during MBA finals for 2 classes while working). I've since improved my personal list of foods thanks to the anti-spasm meds.