• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Viberzi anyone?

It's been a while since I have last posted, although I do get on here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. It has been a super rough few months as my husband almost passed away due to a rare and extremely serious side effect to a new medication causing DRESS Syndrome. He is on the mend, but still has flares. Lots of hospital visits and stays, including Cleveland Clinic. Then one of my daughters had surgery a few weeks back for serious issues. Not been the best of summers. Anyway...

I had my colonoscopy on June 20th, with my GI stating the Crohns was looking "okay", but I have signs of colitis flare as well as IBS flare, and Diverticulitis showing...He took multiple biopsies, and I go back soon for more updates. He discussed with me about taking Viberzi, which I am a bit worried about the side effects. My last appointment in May, the PA for him mentioned it as well, going into details about the side effects. When I went to get it filled, the pharmacy stated that the manufacturer hasn't given a date for it to be released, kind of like a back order perhaps? So, I am taking at least 3 -4 lomotil a day, sometimes that's not even helping get through a day. Lots of lower right side burning pain, under my ribs but above where my appendix was. I first thought maybe I pulled a muscle somehow, but it's not quite like that kind of pain. My intestines are in a constant rumble, especially the lower right side. And, the school year is beginning again super soon. Perfect timing...it seems I always have intestinal issues kicking in July!

All of that to ask, have any of you taken Viberzi? If so, did you have issues getting the rx filled? And any worrisome side effects? I understand that it's a new medicine and I really don't want to be one of those patients with rare side effects that can be fatal...I just want some normalcy to my life...even just for a while.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Welcome back lisa...is Viberzi the only medication your doctor is putting you on? Looks like it is geared toward IBS vs. IBD.....

No, I take Lialda 4x a day as well. But I also take nexium, lomotil and Bentyl...I used to be on Humira but I kept gettting C-Diff and had multiple surgeries this last year so they pulled me off that. Imuran put me into pancreatitis. My list of meds include 2 BP meds, thyroid meds, premarin, hydrochlorathiazide, potassium 2xa day, and folic acid. We are going to discuss options on my next appointment.