• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Viruses and Bacterial Infections

Does everyone else find that they get viral and bacterial bowel infections worse? I guess it only makes sense but it is sooooo frustrating! 6 months ago we had one go through my wife and kids (vomiting and big D). They were fine in 3-4 days and I was a mess for weeks. Just had another 3 weeks ago that was intestinal (kids and wife all had D for 4-5 days) - now they are better. 2 weeks later I am still trying to get my bowels back to normal. Doesn't help I have had Cdiff recur twice this year too. Currently back on Vanco just in case (waiting for test results for Cdiff again). I am washing my hands more often than ever and having kids be more vigilant. Before Crohns, I didn't have to worry about these stupid bugs. Now I am paranoid.

I am addicted to the Bath & Body Works hand sanitizers. I used to NEVER use them, because I figured it was actually good to be exposed to different germs. Now w/ the immunosuppressants I definitely worry about it!

I wash my hands almost to the point of OCD. I had a horrible stomach bug last year and ended up in the ER. They definately affect me worse than other folks. The vomiting is almost like my body completely seizes up. So yes it does suck big time going through those things when you're already not well to begin with. Knock on wood though, I haven't had the flu in years. I guess its some sort of pleasant Karma coming my way. :)