• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vitamin D may be more important than known for ulcerative colitis

A new study suggests vitamin D may be more important than known for preventing ulcerative colitis flare-ups.

Ulcerative colitis (UC) is an inflammatory bowel disease characterized by inflammation of the large intestine that can frequently relapse after being under control for a period of time.

Vitamin D status important for preventing colitis relapse

A new study led by researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) has found low vitamin D levels can contribute to ulcerative collitis relapse, which might make it important for your doctor to check your blood levels.

Past studies have shown the vitamin D is linked to a higher risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis flares.

"However, it has been unclear if the flare-up was lowering vitamin D levels, or if low vitamin D levels were causing the flare-up. We thought that if we looked at vitamin D levels when the disease was inactive and then followed patients moving forward, the impact of baseline vitamin D levels on future events may be clearer," said senior study author Alan Moss, MD, a gastroenterologist at the Digestive Disease Center at BIDMC and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

I've been reading about light or also known as sun therapy ideas of late. I've also made it a point to obtain sensible sun exposure, which basically I avoid being burnt. So far good. I don't know what my vitamin D levels are currently, but suspect the light therapy has improved my gut health some. My energy levels have been improved too.

When I was growing up in Armenia and we would have flu or any type of common illnesses, sun exposure and getting out to fresh air was one of the most common and working ways to use to treat that common cold, or flu. Have you noticed when you spend few hours outside and enjoy fresh air, when you get back home you want to sleep. Apparently it helps the body to get rest and recover.

Absolutely. Around 10 years ago I bought a vitamin D lamp. I would use it in the winter a few times a week. I noticed after I began using the vitamin D lamp I stopped developing colds/flus.

I made a number of health changes 10 years ago, when I began using the vitamin D light. As a result it hasn't been clear to me on what might have helped. Now though I have good confidence that it was the vitamin D light that helped me the most with avoiding the development of colds and the flu.

I know what you mean about being somewhat sleepy after being in the sun. Yes, and no. In the short term yes I've noticed I will be more tired after spending time outdoors. That tends to not last long for me. I'm more energized in the evening anymore.

Bufford

Vitamin D, or could it be also the light. I find that when I am stuck indoors that I tend to have more inflammation and flare more easily. If I spend more time crosscountry skiing or garden work I do better with my Crohn's. We are a species that habitually spends a lot of time under a roof, perhaps by getting out more into the light helps.

I like early sunrises, and am attracted to light more so in the mornings than any other time in the day. I dread the arrival of day light saving time, as I do enjoy an earlier sunset to have more time in my evening to relax from the day and its stress.

Something else that light can be responsible for, and with testing can be measured in men, is testosterone levels. Apparently testosterone levels in males are in part dependent upon the amount of light received through the eyes.

A little on that can be read here:

"New Study: Boost Testosterone and Libido with Light Therapy
Researchers say the kind of lamps used to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder can also help guys suffering from low sexual desire."

http://www.mensfitness.com/women/sex-tips/new-study-boost-testosterone-and-libido-light-therapy