• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Vomitimg with Asacol?

Day 5 of being on medication after being diagnosed with UC.

I'm taking 4 400mg of Asacol twice daily and am beginning to notice some side effects. The first being really bad headaches.
Secondly, vomiting? Is this typical with this drug? I become super queesy and usually vomit. This has been three days of this, twice in the evening and once in the morning. I didn't vomit before the diagnosis, maybe some dry heaves. Stomach is super crampy as well.

hawkeye

Staff member
The first day I took Salofalk I had severe nausea, after that it went away. Was on it for 23 years and never had any other side effects or bouts of nausea that I attributed to the medication.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I would talk to your Doc about the size of that dose. When I was on it I started 1 500mg pill a day for 2-3 days, and then added a second pill in the evening. Every 2-3 days, when the nausea subsided, I was told to add another pill until I was up to 8 a day. It took me 3 weeks to get up to 8 pills a day.

Thanks for the responses! Called my Dr's today to let them know I am still in pain, frequent bathroom visits, blood, and then mentioned the side effects of the meds. They are going to contact me soon with an update.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I'm sorry you've had problems with this med, it's one of the milder meds for IBD, so doctors seem to forget about the side effects when they do happen.

I've only used pentasa, not asacol and I had cramping pains.. So maybe that's another side effect for you.

I'm glad you've managed to contact your doctors and I hope they get back to you with something useful soon.

Welp... update! Dr prescribed me prednisone 50mg for two weeks, with a gradual decline in dosage for every two weeks after. Looking forward to feeling better, not the side effects.

*big sigh*

Yeah he did. I'm now on 800mg twice daily (from 1600mg) for two weeks, then up to 1200 for two weeks and then back up to the full dose again.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Good to hear. With the 5-ASA drugs, nausea is very common but you adapt quickly. For me it took usually about 3 days for the nausea to stop. When I was diagnosed it was a similar drug schedule slowly reducing the pred while slowly increasing the other.